• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

July dinner in Manhattan

CDRFloppingham

We'll be in Manhattan the weekend of July 9-11.

We will be taking out my wife's brother on Saturday night.

1. We eat anything.

2. I think he lives in the Wall Street area so further south works best but is not imperative.

3. The budget is about 100 pp out the door (before drinks).

Would love to hear from eGullet!

Thanks in advance.

If your brother-in-law lives near Wall Street, you may want to stick to a restaurant near the Financial District. I would recommend SHO Shaun Hergatt; if you want to do a steakhouse, Delmonico's is another good choice in the FiDi. Hope that helps.

Maybe you could help by narrowing things down a bit. The East Village has hundreds of restaurants, and the surrounding areas add hundreds more. Anything you can tell us aside from price that would focus the request a bit? I suspect the general framing of the question is one of the reasons for the lack of response. Anything you can tell us in terms of preferences, cuisine style, level of formality, what would make it really memorable/great for you, what kind of atmosphere, etc.?

You can have dinner at my place.

The kitchen isnt great but the roofdeck is pretty sweet...heh heh.

East village is kind of known for its cheap eats. If you are willing to eat a little later then Ippudo is really great. They dont take ressies and they are very popular so saturday night may be a hard night to go. Same thing with Ssam bar.

If you are into it WD~50 is close...

• 3 weeks later...

For your breakfast, I'd consider "Good Enough to Eat" on the UWS and I suggest you cue up about 20 minutes before they open.

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Saturday light breakfast: Russ & Daughters for a smoked salmon, cream cheese, and bagel sandwich is a great idea.

Sunday full breakfast: Locanda Verde is excellent, I'd reserve very soon. I've also heard good things about Maialino.

If you're OK with standing in line, go to Prune or Clinton Street Baking Company.

All of these are better than Good Enough to Eat.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

east village super cheap great spot is 6th street kitchen on 6th street between a and b. Really inventive fun food. Out the door under 50 buck a person. No reservations. Pretty quiet, open kitchen, great food and service.

Saturday light breakfast: Russ & Daughters for a smoked salmon, cream cheese, and bagel sandwich is a great idea.

Sunday full breakfast: Locanda Verde is excellent, I'd reserve very soon. I've also heard good things about Maialino.

If you're OK with standing in line, go to Prune or Clinton Street Baking Company.

All of these are better than Good Enough to Eat.

I LOVE locanda verde for brunch. Love. Get the ricotta with honey to start.

I wasn't allowed to edit.

Friday: Lunch - Shimizu

I had not done omakase before. I sat before Mr. Shimizu. He served me a dizzying variety...amaebi, hamachi, chu toro, hirame, ikura, mirugai, saba, sockeye salmon, raw tako with lemon...delicous, tai, unagi, uni (California), yamaimo, (at my request) natto, and many more. I was also served a delicous dessert (I usually don't like Asian desserts...and I'm Asian) of mochi, fruit, and azuki. I had some sochu. Great first omakase...thank you to Shimizu-san.

Friday: Pre-theater dinner - Toloache

We tried a few of their margaritas, their trio of guacamoles, the red snapper ceviche, and some tacos. Churros for dessert. Very servicable...reasonably priced. I'd go again.

Saturday: Lunch - Jean-Georges

My previous Michelin experience (1-star) was Atelier du Joel Robuchon in LV. This was superb although a rube like me is not sure what the difference is between 1 and 3 stars. I had: Tuna ribbons with a ginger sauce and avocado, Scallops and caramelized cauliflower, and confit chicken. She had torchon of foie gras, peekeytoe crab salad with melon, and I can't remember. Dessert was the cheese plate...nothing special and "chocolate" again nothing particularly memorable.

A wonderful lunch.

Saturday: Dinner - Falai

I would like someone to set me straight. I'm from DC where, when you pay $100 pp out the door, you can expect a decent chair, not to smell smoke from the kitchen, and air conditioning. Albeit, it was hot that day but the AC sucked. I was seated, very close to others, on an uncomfortable clear plastic chair. I had the experience...good or not, of smelling food cooking in the kitchen. The food was pretty good. I had the green bean salad, the spaghetti guitarra, and the monkfish. All good but not great. I had to listen to the cackling of a woman who was with two other friends who was trying way to hard to be fun. Is this typical of a NY restaurant? For the money, I expect a more comfortable experience. The food was worth it...the ambiance....fast food level.

Any thoughts for a Saturday light breakfast and Sunday breakfast?

I would like someone to set me straight. I'm from DC where, when you pay $100 pp out the door, you can expect a decent chair, not to smell smoke from the kitchen, and air conditioning. Albeit, it was hot that day but the AC sucked. I was seated, very close to others, on an uncomfortable clear plastic chair. I had the experience...good or not, of smelling food cooking in the kitchen. The food was pretty good. I had the green bean salad, the spaghetti guitarra, and the monkfish. All good but not great. I had to listen to the cackling of a woman who was with two other friends who was trying way to hard to be fun. Is this typical of a NY restaurant? For the money, I expect a more comfortable experience. The food was worth it...the ambiance....fast food level.

This is what eating in New York is like now. Welcome.