• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gauthier Soho

I shall certainly follow his blog just in the hope of some illuminating behind the scenes info.

A number of critics and bloggers have reviewed the place with perhaps mixed views, still I shall make my own mind up on our visit, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/reviews/gauthier-soho-1-romilly-street-london-w1-0207494-3111-1995727.html

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Blogs and tweets are just PR and advertising in its new form. Cause a fuss, get the hits. They should stop listening to BS about 'social media' and stick to rattling the pans and getting the food out.

• 2 weeks later...

A number of critics and bloggers have reviewed the place with perhaps mixed views, still I shall make my own mind up on our visit, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Have you made here yet David? The missus and I had a really terrific lunch last week. It would be an amazing first to say we beat you to it!

Incredible value, 3 courses for £25. We had a couple of extra drinks that made the final bill a little shy of £80. But if you consider that includes 3 amushe, good bread, petit fours etc and the central London location then i'm surprised if they make any money from punters like me. The absolutely outstanding dishes were the Spring Truffle risotto with Reduced Chicken Jus and (for us) the main attraction, the Golden Louis XV. Marvellous stuff, the only negative point was my main of bream was on the very small side.

gallery_52657_5922_89007.jpg

gallery_52657_5922_3014.jpg

You most certainly did :laugh:

We have been pretty busy the past couple of weeks and in fact we were in London last weekend for a couple of meals which hopefully I will write up in the next few days.

Gauthier is difficult on a weekend for me as they are closed on a Sunday and I prefer to have a long lazy lunch on a Saturday, but again they are closed.

Glad you enjoyed yourselves.Good report too.

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

@d_goodfellow1

• 1 month later...

Had a long lunch in Gauthier on Thursday. Toptable offered two for one on tasting menus so it was an easy choice.

We ate

Foie gras with poached apricot and reduced port

Scallops with garlic and parsley puree

Summer truffle risotto

Wild sea trout with beetroot, sorrel jus and light ginger

Crispy and soft piglet, thin leeks,cherry reduction and pig jus

Cheese

Cherry and chocolate with red wine jelly, champagne grainte, cherry jam

Praline and dark chocolate Louis XV

Coffee and petit fours

First visit to Lindsay house. I am not sure it is the most practical building for an ambitious, elegant restaurant. As you may know, you have to ring the doorbell and wait, not too long, to be greeted.

We were offered our table on the first floor. It was a terrible table, on wonky ground, in the farthest corner of a smallish room. I was not comfortable or happy. We asked to move and with very little fuss got shifted to a far nicer table next to the fireplace. Suddenly the gloom I was bathing in lifted, replaced by natural light and a far happier disposition. Much better.

Lunch was quite busy. Service was good. Interestingly, water is provided without charge, with no attempt to flog you bottled stuff first. They also provided gratis (posh) water at Aiden Byrne.

The food is elegant and mostly nicely cooked. I enjoyed most things. Particularly good was the foie with tangy sweet sour apricot and the scallops. Less so the sea trout that was very lightly cooked, bordering raw. I ate it non the less. It was ok but not as good as the best courses. The risotto was rich, chock full of parmesan and piled high with truffle and a slick of reduced chicken jus. It would be even better with a little less cheese and the fuller hit of winter truffle. It was good, although I would like to eat it later in the year if I could afford to. The pig was tasty too.

The plating was classic, bordering simple. Garnishes were very good vegetables. The pork came with half a purple carrot and some tasty, tiny leeks. Sea trout had a half beetroot, earthy and warm.

The cheese was really good. Munster, Comte, epoisses, a light goat cheese and a corsican rosemary bound ewes milk came with dried apricots, sultanas and crackers.

Good coffee, double espresso and petit fours including a very good lemon meringue pie macaroon ended things nicley. It took a few hours but we were in no hurry.

The only downside was having to listen to the endless high volume gibberings of the most important person ever to have eaten anything, ever, anywhere. The racket became more noticable as time passed and other diners presumably gave in and made a run for it. A mute button would have been good.

It was time to leave. Had a brief chat with the chef Alexis Gauthier on our way out. Seems like a nice bloke. It was a good lunch and the discount made it really excellent value. I would not have felt cheated had the discount not applied. Well worth giving a go.

A bit of a walk, a wine flight in Fortnum and Masons wine bar and we were good for dinner in Bar Boloud.

Martin

"The only downside was having to listen to the endless high volume gibberings of the most important person ever to have eaten anything, ever, anywhere. The racket became more noticable as time passed and other diners presumably gave in and made a run for it. A mute button would have been good"

It wasn't any of the fellows that post on egullet?

• 10 months later...

Has anybody been recently? I had a shockingly disappointing experience there last Friday (my fourth visit).

The truffle risotto (at a £15 supplement) was as good and luscious as ever, but they are now packing the place to a point where the service suffers, and the cuisine too.

Our dirty plates were left on the table for an eternity, and it took another eternity to be served the next course.

It was unbearably noisy, courtesy of a couple of large tables (we tried to retaliate by flashing them, but they didn't seem to notice :cool: ). The small, full room felt oppressive. We were unhappy.

A wild seabass was massacred, I couldn't believe how poorly it was cooked.

At least they said 'sorry for tonight' at the end (though no concrete gesture of goodwill was offered...).

There are zillions of other places I want to go to in London. Therefore I think my experience with Gauthier ends here.

Presumably that £15 supplement was for preserved truffles or summer truffles which makes you wonder why you needed to pay a supplement for them. Of course I might be wrong and the season has been exceptionally long or arrived exceptionally early? :hmmm:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Presumably that £15 supplement was for preserved truffles or summer truffles which makes you wonder why you needed to pay a supplement for them. Of course I might be wrong and the season has been exceptionally long or arrived exceptionally early? :hmmm:

To be honest Matthew this is one of the few aspects of that disastrous evening that, angry as I am, I am not sure I can complain about...I don't know where the truffles came from (service was so busy it was almost impossible to talk to them), but they were abundant and freshly shaved black Summer truffles of exceptional quality. The supplement is perhaps a fair proportion of what restaurants charge for the white ones from Alba (or supposedly so).

But I want to add a negative note: from this photograph you can see how slanted the floor of that room is: the sauce accumulated in one corner of the plate! (for the curious, the dish is veal sweetbread).

IMG_3102.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So it seems Gauthier Soho has introduced a calorie count to its menus.

Sure, there might be some value in everyday places displaying calorie counts – the office canteens, the Pret a Mangers and the Itsus. It wouldn’t do any harm at Greggs for that matter, and McDonalds already post their nutrition information online.

But in a posh restaurant, the sort of place where people go for a treat? It’s bizarre.

To be honest Matthew this is one of the few aspects of that disastrous evening that, angry as I am, I am not sure I can complain about...I don't know where the truffles came from (service was so busy it was almost impossible to talk to them), but they were abundant and freshly shaved black Summer truffles of exceptional quality. The supplement is perhaps a fair proportion of what restaurants charge for the white ones from Alba (or supposedly so).

But I want to add a negative note: from this photograph you can see how slanted the floor of that room is: the sauce accumulated in one corner of the plate! (for the curious, the dish is veal sweetbread).

IMG_3102.JPG

No way. Fifteen quid is way lower than the supp you'd pay for alba truffles. I would consider forty quid supp the starting point at a decent starred place. Fifteen definitely points to summer truffles rather than melanosporum or magnatum.

J

PS Does the angle of the table really matter than much?? If the table is wobbly or creaky maybe, but a couple of millimetres more sauce pooling one side would make zero difference to the taste of a dish. I'd venture to add the amount the food cools while it's being photographed would have a bigger impact on flavour (one of the reasons I never get round to photographing my food - I'm invariably too hungry...)

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

IMG_3102.JPG

No way. Fifteen quid is way lower than the supp you'd pay for alba truffles. I would consider forty quid supp the starting point at a decent starred place. Fifteen definitely points to summer truffles rather than melanosporum or magnatum.

J

PS Does the angle of the table really matter than much?? If the table is wobbly or creaky maybe, but a couple of millimetres more sauce pooling one side would make zero difference to the taste of a dish. I'd venture to add the amount the food cools while it's being photographed would have a bigger impact on flavour

As I wrote, they were fresh Summer truffles (how could they be Alba truffles in this season???).

Re. the photograph it takes me about three seconds to take one (as is evident from the poor quality with zero artistic pretensions...). As normally the temperature of the room is above minus thirty Celsius, I find that the dish remains reasonably warm during the process.

The pooling of the sauce doesn't affect the taste of the dish, but it does affect the way it looks, which matters to me (when I'm in a fine dining mood and paying a corresponding price).

• 2 weeks later...

In fairness to Gauthier, I'd like to add a couple of points, especially in view of the fact that I wrote that 'no concrete gesture of goodwill was offered'.

Gauthier has now communicated with us in a very civilised and sensible way (following a comment we made on another site), and did make a concrete gesture by way of apology. He also made us reflect on some of the comments we made on our blog (we'll comment there as appropriate). Not all chefs react in this way to criticism and so I think credit deserves to be public as was our criticism.

Also, with a cool mind, it is equally fair to emphasise that of the four times we have been there, we only made public comments on our bad experience, and not on the three previous good ones. So, while our accounts of that night are totally accurate, they do not present a balanced view of the overall experience. We should have emphasised this more.

(For the record, we did not accept the invitation, both because we would find it awkward to be served by staff we so heavily criticised, and because in general we find it a good rule to always pay the bill if we aim to write public comments - mind you, not that we pretend (or aspire for that matter) to be anything more than the nobodies we are in the food world, but even the minuscule influence we may have on anybody, we do take seriously and that's the rule we have set for ourselves. Needless to say, we don't criticise others for having different rules).

• 4 months later...

IMG_1232.JPG

Had an interesting meal here at the weekend. Been meaning to try the place out for an age, but as we mostly weekend in London and normally they only open for dinner service on Saturday (closed Sunday) its been difficult.

They now open for lunch service on Saturdays at least until Xmas, and we finally made it. That suited us down to the ground as we prefer to linger over a lazy Saturday lunch rather than shop or do other stuff.

Took a few decent photos. Will post a review when I have a bit more time.

@d_goodfellow1

• 4 months later...