• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Union County Chinese restaurants

jo-mel

Any names of really good Chinese restaurants in Union County --- where I can take someone from China? Specialty places where a region is highlighted, general places, dim sum, and/or maybe places that have a separate menu where you won't find chop suey?

I had forgotten Cathay 22. Thanks. It's been years since I was there, but a google shows it is still there and has mixed reviews. The menu doesn't have Chinese characters naming the dishes --- which tells me something. And the dishes themselves are pretty standard. Probably good, but --------

Can't help you in Union County, but you're really not far from Edison, where I'm told there IS some authentic Chinese to be had! If that's of interest, do a search and let folks here know--I'm sure someone will chime in.

And if you're willing to go in to Essex or Morris counties, I'd recommend Chengdu 1 (Sichuan in Cedar Grove v. close to Montclair) or Noodle Chu in Parsippany--NC does full-blown dim sum, and does it well.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Chengdu 1 is probably my favorite restaurant right now. (I live in Essex Cty.) Great place, and a wonderful menu. Another is Hunan Gardens on 46 East. The person I'm looking up the information for, lives in Union County ---- but I also gave him links to the above, as well as Noodle Chu.