• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

seattle washington apprenticeship

fishoner

im living in salt lake working under a pretty decent chef learning a lot right now he has me under a sort of unofficial chefs apprentice role where i am supposed to work for him for 2 years and in return recieve a really sweet letter of reccomendation however i have an oppurtunity to go with a friend to seattle and apprentice with someone through the acf officially i cannot decide whether it is worth to give up the good thing i have going for proper certification or to stick with what i have for a letter of reccomendation.

Not enough information for someone to give you good advice.

Are you being well treated and decently paid? Do you have a good life in SLC?

I hadn't heard of ACF - but I'm not in the trade either. Do you know what restaurants or chefs in the Seattle area work with the program? Are they places you want to invest your time in and that you want on your resume?

Being partial to Seattle, I can't imagine staying in SLC, but that's me. Food scene isn't bad here, especially if you like working with fresh products (this time of year!) But it isn't New York either.

Good luck with your career.

thank you my pay is low and my life is shitty i want to go out there but i dont know if i want to give up the learning oppurtunity i have with my current chef i dont know how hard it is to come by a good chef who knows alot about charcuterie and butchering it seems like that is a valuable skill which is hard to come by

There are a bunch of chefs here doing head to tail cuisine, a fair amount of in-house charcuterie. For starters:

Salumi

Earth and Ocean at the W Hotel

Lark

The Swinery (much gossip and bad press, but I guess his product is good.)

I'm thinking, Herbfarm as well

Growing their own -

Wooly Pigs

Sea Breeze Farms on Vashon Island

You say you are young - don't be too offended, but if you write any of these places asking about work, have someone proofread your resume and letter - these are mostly well educated and well spoken people and your posts come off a little lacking.

Again - is there a way to find out if local chefs are working with ACF? If it turns out it is just the chains, you might not want to go that route.