• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's good in Seattle at the minute?

I'll be in Seattle for a few days at the start of next month, coming from Toronto. Is there anything culinary (particular restaurants or otherwise) that is not to be missed? Preferably something that I'd be unlikely to be able to find it Toronto. We'll probably do one splurge on the trip and otherwise try to keep things fairly cheap. Any food is good, but if there are any local specialties or anything out of the ordinary that would be particularly great. Thanks for the help,

Dan

This site has been very quiet for the longest time, so I'll just spew and see what sticks to the wall. There are a slew of new places - strangely, a bunch of relocated places.

Flying Fish relocated after 15 years. In the new neighborhood of South Lake Union - lots of new commercial and residential buildings, still lots of construction and fast traffic.

Sitka and Spruce relocated to West Capitol Hill. I was disappointed, but that may just be me. There is a speakeasy in the same building, as well as a butcher, a cheesemonger, and a florist. Corson Building is the splurge version.

Marjorie reopened in a new neighborhood, edge of Capitol Hill/Central District - brand new building. Good early reports. Neighborhood place.

Mistral Kitchen reopened and expanded - this is a pricier option that has gotten mostly excellent reports. Don't miss dessert.

Luc - little sister to Rover's - and just across the courtyard. French bistro - good early reports, cocktails, simple french fare.

BlueAcre - big brother to Steelhead Diner - took over the Oceanaire space in mid-town. I had a very good first experience, but the room is huge, and a little overwhelming to me.

Poppy - more than a year old. Summer is a great time to experience it as there is a beautiful urban garden in back full of herbs used in the cooking. The lovely and talented pastry chef is out of the country right now, so I don't know how they are handling that, otherwise, I'd say not to miss it.

Canlis - old time splurge - they have shaken up their house the past couple of years and are worth considering.

Herbfarm - big splurge time and money. The theme will be all about summer. It's a long drive from town.

Springhill - West Seattle - no longer new, but I am very fond of it.

Mashiko - all sustainable fish sushi - also in West Seattle.

A few more places are opening soon, maybe not by your visit - more from Tom Douglas (Dahlia, Palace Kitchen, Etta's, Serious Pie) and a new one from the original Matt (of Matt's in the Market.) Also a new place from Ethan Stowell in Ballard (also How to Cook a Wolf, Anchovies and Olives, and Tavolata) and one from Renee Erickson (Boat Street Cafe is her current place.)

Vietnamese - Long, downtown, is a little more polished than sister Tamarind Tree (and easier to find.)

Ethiopian? Lots to choose from, not sure how much difference from one to another. Two can eat for under $20 inclusive, easily.

Sandwiches - Salumi, Delicatus, Elliott Bay Cafe (the bookstore moved, the cafe stayed), Tat's (new location) all within walking distance of each other at the south end of downtown/Pioneer Square.

Ice cream has become almost as widespread as cupcakes. Bluebird, Molly Moon, Full Tilt, Parfait, Half-Pint as well as numerous gelato places. Bakeries - Columbia City Bakery, Bakery Nouveau, Besalu, Honore, Sugar, more opening every day. Many are in neighborhoods.

Theo Chocolates are made from green bean to bar and chocolates right here - they have daily tours for a few bucks and you get plenty to taste.

Beer. Wine. and now, Spirits - distillers are very new on the scene. Speakeasies and cocktails are well represented.

Neighborhood farmers markets are flourishing, at least one every day (almost, anyway.) Mostly the same purveyors, some are bigger than others.

I'll let you do your own link searching. I guess you didn't say if/when you were here before. I understand Toronto has a very good food scene, but I don't know what you might be missing.

Edited by tsquare (log)

• 2 weeks later...

We recently enjoyed a great meal at Olivar Restaurant http://www.olivarrestaurant.com. Their 3 course menu was interesting and varied the night we were there. Street parking in the area can be an issue if something is going on at the Harvard Exit Theater that is across the street.

The night before we enjoyed dinner at the Red Fin Sushi Restaurant & Bar http://www.redfinsushi.com . Every Monday evening they offer a 10% discount for customers living in their zip code or staying in a hotel in the zip code. We had originally chosen the restaurant as we were staying at the adjacent Hotel Max following a long day of driving. We were extremely surprised and pleased with the quality of the offerings and some of their uniqueness.

We second T squares' recommendation of Spring Hill. We really enjoyed our food there.

Have fun where ever you end up. There are so many choices.

Kay

Edited by kayswv (log)