• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's good around the Empire State Building/Herald Square area

Did I mention that I was in a rush earlier this week, so I thought this would be the ideal time to try the dreaded Pizzacone, and it was every bit as horrific as it looks, and that it looks even more horrific up close than it does in the photos? You've got a pre-baked breadcone, thick enough to hold hot liquid without dripping, which is put in a rack, filled with sauce, cheese and toppings, and microwaved. The idea seems to be to have something like an ice-cream cone that you would eat while walking around taking up too much space on the sidewalk and looking up at the tall buildings, but the whole hot gooey admixture of sauce and cheese melts down into the cone, and becomes more awkward to eat than a folded slice of pizza. At least I was ready in time to talk about my budget.

• 3 weeks later...

If going to Lexington, then - my favorite South Indian is still Saravanaas, at 26th and lex, and then my friend Jun offers the city's ONLY wafuu-chuuka (Japanese-ingredient and prep- Chinese food) at Saburi at 30th and Lex. They're open for lunch Tuesday through Friday. It's hot out, go there, get a hiyashi-chuuka and relive my childhood. It's really great on a hot day. Or any of the other noodles for that matter, some of their spicier ramen being what I enjoy

• 3 months later...

I tried Han Gawi on 32nd between 5th and Madison for a vegetarian business lunch, and it was ideal for that. A very elegant place where you take off your shoes and sit on cushions on the floor, but there is a well under the table, so it's not exactly sitting on the floor. Lots of great mushroom dishes and kabocha items, pa jun, cold ginseng juice, in a very calming atmosphere amid an otherwise hectic neighborhood.

Finally got to Keens Steak House a couple of weeks ago for a most definitely non-vegetarian business lunch, and it was great and quite reasonable for lunch. There are lunch entrees for $20-35 with a beef dish and a vegetable, as well as larger steaks from the dinner menu. I normally don't order the filet mignon in a steakhouse, but it was one of the more attractive lunch items available with a choice of sauces (I got it au poivre) and it was definitely one of the better steaks I've had in the city. It's a different style from Peter Luger's, so not really comparable, but a really fine steak.

Today's discovery was No. 7 Sub on Broadway just below 29th St.--excellent interesting subs for $9. I got the fried mussels which comes on a whole grain roll with melted American cheese and frisee. The American cheese is a bit of an odd choice, but it's a great sandwich. They also have a meatloaf, arctic char, eggplant parm, General Tso's Tofu, maybe a half dozen or so choices, and house-made sodas. I'll be returning often.

Day after Thanksgiving, our office is open. No. 7 Sub--braised short ribs, baked sweet potato, marshmallows, and red wine vinaigrette. I've never understood the concept of sweet potatoes and marshmallows, but you hardly notice the marshmallows on this sandwich. They melt into some kind of mysterious sauce, surely no worse than "Special Sauce" , binding the whole thing together without becoming obtrusive. The shortribs were good.

I work in that area...

Madangsui and Cho Dang Gol are great for korean.

Tina's Cubano is really good. Try the goat or ox tail stew from the trays, all the sandwiches are good as well.

I will second the suggestion for hill country (dont go to the "BBQ" place across the street if the line is too long, its awful)

Keens, Artisnal and wolfgangs are all good for a little more upscale.

I love Mishima for sushi delivery, always really fresh.

If you want healthy there is a place called Natureworks which is a step up from pump energy food type places.

I think nanoosh is terrible.