• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Without Seasoning or a Pantry

Peter the eater

fresh Oysters and eggs

Oysters are what got me thinking about this challenge in the first place. Oysters + lobster, actually.

Steam a small lobster in minimal water, remove meat and strain the steaming broth. Add a few fresh oyster and their juice to the broth and warm through with a bain-marie. Slightly sweet and salty with a pure and rich marine flavor.

101_4990.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Steak and salt...I guess you could drink the water

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Forget the lobster. Oysters and lemon juice. No need for a heat source and the oysters come with their own built in salt broth.

True, fresh oysters and lemon juice is killer. Poaching them in lobster broth is a new twist for me. I'm amazed when a couple of ingredients get deliciously gestalt. Aside from living in the ocean, and ending with -ster, the two don't really have much in common.

Moe Sizlack

Roasted chicken, stuffed with mushrooms. A nice sauvignon blanc... Opps, some got spilled on the chicken!

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

At the risk of straying a little away from Peter's original question ... Kerry's cheese tuiles can be considerably enhanced by the addition of some chopped walnuts and finely-chopped rosemary. Grate the cheese, form small piles on a baking sheet, sprinkle over walnuts, sprinkle over rosemary, bake until starting to brown - yum!

Actually, maybe I'm not straying - Peter's already allowed one suggestion involving three ingredients.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Here is what I am having tonight--a big bowl of freshly shelled peas with a lump of butter. I eat them with a spoon so I don't miss a morsel.

That sounds exquisite, my peas are a long ways off. The sign near my airport says "Halfway to the North Pole" which pretty much sums it up for the Growing Zone in which I live.

Cooking Without Seasoning or a Pantry, I was thinking, is about relying on unadulterated pure flavors. No finishing with salt, sugar, acid, etc.

Moe Sizlack

White Basmati rice, and fresh peas.

I could live solely on that..

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

1) Oysters and sobrasada lightly grilled.

2) Poached egg with white truffle (better if the egg is baked in a dish that's been smeared with butter but my extra, cheating, third ingredient is a glass of Barolo to go with it :biggrin: )

1) Oysters and sobrasada lightly grilled.

2) Poached egg with white truffle (better if the egg is baked in a dish that's been smeared with butter but my extra, cheating, third ingredient is a glass of Barolo to go with it :biggrin: )

So, use the white truffle butter in the dish to shirr the egg, then go for the barolo to cheat.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

That's a winner combo.

Reminds me of a story from adventure writer Jon Krakauer. He was in Borneo, I think, where the local folks rely a tree where you pound the woody fibers and ground it up to get the mushy carbs, and nobody enjoys eating it. He fed them Basmati rice, and they cried.

Moe Sizlack

That's a winner combo.

Reminds me of a story from adventure writer Jon Krakauer. He was in Borneo, I think, where the local folks rely a tree where you pound the woody fibers and ground it up to get the mushy carbs, and nobody enjoys eating it. He fed them Basmati rice, and they cried.

Sounds like it could be the sago tree? I have seen this on TV and when mixed with water it looks exactly like wallpaper paste. Nobody seems to enjoy eating it, even the locals.

if food be the music of love, eat on.

suckling pig, garlic....

Needs salt. I like the lobster and butter solution (poached in a beurre monte if I can have a little water).

Or a McDonald's McChicken sandwich placed inside a Double Cheeseburger. ;)

Or a McDonald's McChicken sandwich placed inside a Double Cheeseburger. ;)

Now that's an obscene sandwich.

Moe Sizlack

Think of it as a Top Chef Quickfire Challenge. You get two ingredients of your choosing, water, a heat source, and whatever kitchen equipment you want. Nothing else. What's possible?

Something I prepare fairly often. Half inch of water in a non-stick skillet. Thick sliced onions (large) cooked until just beginning to become translucent around the edges, then each round topped with a whole chicken liver. Add a little more boiling water if needed, cover and cook till the liver is done.

I don't use salt or pepper because I like the blend of flavors as they are.

The result can be placed on bread or toast but I usually don't bother.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett