• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking on a cast iron chiminea

Darienne

Finally bought one of the things...wanted one for years...sit outside when it's cold, in front of a little wood fire, a cup of something hot...preferably spiked...

So, our comes with a cooking grid which swings into and out of the fire area. Besides marshmallows, which would make an awful mess and I don't like them cooked anyway, what on earth can I cook over a wood fire?

Or if the hot drink as far as we should go?

(You wouldn't believe the pre- and pro-scriptions for using this little furnace in the countryside. But still, a fire in the country without a source of water is a terrible thing.)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Wendy Sweetser has authored a book "Cooking with Chimineas: 150 Delicious Recipes for Barbecuing, Grilling, Roasting and Smoking" that may still be available but I wouldn't recommend it.

There is this blog: http://www.squidoo.com/cooking-with-a-chiminea

however, both these suggest cooking with charcoal briquettes and I don't think they are recommended for use in a chiminea. I have one (been stored in the shed for years) but it is the traditional clay, purchased on one of my trips to New Mexico years ago and used the first year but not since then. I have a perfectly adequate charcoal grill/smoker/barbecue that is much easier to use and much easier to clean.

I did use natural charcoal in the chiminea as I use it exclusively in my barbecue - I don't like the briquettes at all.

In my opinion you should just enjoy it as an outdoor firepit as you would a fireplace indoors and not try the cooking part. My neighbor, who is visiting and looking over my shoulder, suggested a pot for mulled wine and some "nibbles on skewers" but that is her thing, not mine, as I don't drink alcohol.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

In my opinion you should just enjoy it as an outdoor firepit as you would a fireplace indoors and not try the cooking part.

Well........you are no doubt correct. I just thought I'd float it by. I personally don't even cook on the B-B-Q. Not my thing. As far as I'm concerned it's a guy thing. Silly, I know, but that's how I feel.

Our youngest is a total barbecue knowledgeable cook and even gives advice to his old man.

But thanks for the tips.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

According to the chiminea pamphlet, we are to burn untreated wood or artificial logs only. And we do have lots of downed branches and trees every year.

Hmmm...a pot of something on the grid. I can see this will be for 'fun' only.

Thanks Heidi

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

According to the chiminea pamphlet, we are to burn untreated wood or artificial logs only. And we do have lots of downed branches and trees every year.

Hmmm...a pot of something on the grid. I can see this will be for 'fun' only.

Thanks Heidi

I don't have much interest in these devices, but the advice to use "artificial logs" troubles me; in the USA many if not all such logs are treated with chemicals to help them burn. What happens when those chemicals get into the food being cooked? Even a closed pot is not invulnerable, at least during the early part of the cooking process when the pot is significantly cooler and gases can condense onto and into surfaces. If possible one should search for untreated artificial logs.

Ray

Thanks for the info. Rest assured, we would never burn artificial wood...I was just quoting from the brochure. We have downed trees and branches enough every year for a dozen chimineas.

And you probably don't like to sit outside in the dead of winter, drinking a cup of coffee. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.