• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican cooking ingredients in Ontario

Awesome, Darienne. Perola's is packed to the rafters with stuff. Spent way too much money there, although I haven't been there in several months now.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would add for anyone living near Peterborough, that the Firehouse Gourmet is now carrying some Mexican cheeses, both hard and soft, and fresh made tortillas, both corn and wheat and a few other ingredients (which have slipped my mind), on an irregular basis. I have signed up for their newsletter which announced two days ago of an upcoming trip (today) to Toronto to pick up special orders of cheese and so on.

Hooray for the Firehouse Gourmet! :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 6 months later...

Anybody know of a place that might be willing to ship banana leaves? I'm assuming most Ontario sources will be frozen but they seem to survive refreezing well so I can live with the shipping-time thaw.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Anybody know of a place that might be willing to ship banana leaves? I'm assuming most Ontario sources will be frozen but they seem to survive refreezing well so I can live with the shipping-time thaw.

Don't quite get what you mean. I can get frozen banana leaves in Peterborough and would mail them to you if that is what you are asking.

I can find out where my local Asian grocery gets their leaves. At least I can try.

Oh, the owner of a local Mexican restaurant uses frozen banana leaves. I know she would tell me how they get them.

Do let me know if I can be of any help.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm just wanting them for personal use at home so I don't really need a wholesale/food service source. I was hoping there might be a web business or a store that ships that somebody knew about where I can order a few packages.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 6 months later...

Reporting back some wonderful changes. In Peterpatch, at least.

FreshCo, which took over from Price Chopper (where do they get these names?) now carries canned tomatillos. Still no fresh ones available.

We can now get large cans of Poblanos from a local 'hot stuff' store, Firehouse Gourmet. Fresh Poblanos available at FreshCo and Sobeys.

Life just gets better...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.