• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-Cognac Brandies?

FireAarro

I've always had this curiosity about grape brandies from other regions. How do they compare, flavourwise and mixing-wise, to the standard that is Cognac? Brandy de Jerez, German brandies, Metaxa, etc...

I've always had this curiosity about grape brandies from other regions. How do they compare, flavourwise and mixing-wise, to the standard that is Cognac? Brandy de Jerez, German brandies, Metaxa, etc...

le panto is a really cool brandy which is aged in pedro ximenez casks. quite the spirit to sip on late in the evening.

i've never had much luck putting le panto in cocktails because its aroma is so rich. it over shadows so much and doesn't seem to be flattered by acidity. but it is excellant in simple flips and b&b like creations such as equal parts le panto & walnut liqueur.

i've bought lots of strange brandies in the past from countries like georgia, but too often they are raisin brandies and the aroma is too simplistic like a box of california raisins.

i haven't really explored armagnac but everyone i've had i've loved. they all reminded me of what jamaican rums were aspiring to be, but were much wilder and more potent. i really want to explore putting a few bottlings through some cocktails designed for jamaican rums and see if the comparison has any merit.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com