• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Tile Decoration

mostlylana

Sorry to be starting a new topic to ask this question... I just don't know the proper name for this decoration to do a search!

Can someone tell me how to make the small chocolate tile decorations to top a dipped chocolate? Here is what I am talking about: http://www.thomashaas.com/page123.htm

Is the chocolate slabbed on acetate and then cut with a knife? Is there a trick to getting the chocolate a consistent thickness and a consistent size when cutting?

Thanks!

Yes, put your color on the acetate, then spread a thin layer of tempered chocolate over it. If you have a guitar cutter, you can lay a frame over your acetate and use the strings as a guideline while you cut the chocolate with a knife. Use the same strings you'll use to cut the ganache.

I have a few pics of the process starting here: jackson pollock with cocoa butter but not including cutting them.

Sorry to be starting a new topic to ask this question... I just don't know the proper name for this decoration to do a search!

Can someone tell me how to make the small chocolate tile decorations to top a dipped chocolate? Here is what I am talking about: http://www.thomashaas.com/page123.htm

Is the chocolate slabbed on acetate and then cut with a knife? Is there a trick to getting the chocolate a consistent thickness and a consistent size when cutting?

Thanks!

Yup - slabbed on acetate - flipped a couple of times to level out. If you have a guitar - you use the wires of the guitar as the guide to score the pieces. Here is a link to the process that was demonstrated when I was in Belgium. Starts about 7 or 8 pictures down.

Whoops - looks like pastrygirl and I were posting at the same time.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Tandem instruction - excellent! I was wondering how I was going to cut the slabbed chocolate without leaving marks. Using the guitar strings as a guide is brilliant! I'm actually making my little tiles thicker than usual for the effect I want - do you still think I'd have to add weight to keep them flat?

I had to tell you both how well the guitar frame worked to get perfect sizing. Brilliant! I was doing rectangles so used my - oh dear, don't know the name of it - my accordian pizza cutter thingy - for the length lines. That also worked really well.

Here's what I'd like to improve on if there are any suggestions...

I did little coffee plaquettes and wanted them thick enough to impart flavour. I used the side not on the acetate to show as I liked the little flecks of ground coffee showing through. The problem was I got raised edges from cutting. The acetate side was fine. The thickness was around 3mm so that might have been why?? I tried cutting earlier but the chocolate wasn't quite set and it just puddled in on itself. I didn't try cutting it later though; I cut it as soon as it set. Maybe I should have waited longer?

I've never seen chocolate decorations without those 'cut' lines. The thing is, the chocolate has to go somewhere when you cut it. Maybe if you get a super fine knife, that would work? Like maybe a scalpel or a stanley knife?

By crackies! I think you've done it again! I'm sure you're right about using a super thin blade. I used the thinnest blade I have but it's nowhere near a scalpel. I can't wait to try it again with something that thin. I'll let you know how it works!