• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decorated sponge sheets without a freezer?

hansjoakim

Hi,

I've been asked to make a cake for a friend of mine. I'd like to make something special, and want to use a decorated sponge sheet to get that eye-catching look. The recipes I've seen for decorated sponge sheets all say that the paste should be frozen (to make it firm enough) before cake batter is poured over the sheet. Now, I only have a tiny freezer in which a half-sized sheet pan (30cm x 40cm) doesn't fit...

Is it possible to make these decorated sheets without using a freezer to firm the paste? Is it sufficient to place the sheet in the refrigerator instead, or would the paste most likely be too runny to yield nice, even ribbon patterns in the final sheet?

Thanks for any suggestions and tips :)

Edited by hansjoakim (log)

Refrigerating it is fine in my experience. I've even just let it sit at room temperature then just poured a joconde over it. It does depend on how important it is to you to have a very sharp design (eg: stencilled designs or straight lines): if that's the case then it's better you have it as cold as possible in the fridge so you lower the chance of damaging the design when spreading the sponge on top.