• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UTAH Scones !

i LOVE UTAH scones !

As I get ready for my road trip to Texas I am looking at places i can find my favourite foods along the way.

And... in UTAH..... I'm lookin for scones.

I know about Moms cafe in Salina UT. but I am looking for others along I-70 going east that sell those lovely pillows of fried dough.

if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it.

Thanks

I grew up in Salt Lake City and my favorite place to eat scones was at Johanna's Kitchen in Sandy. It's been a while since I've lived there so I don't know if it's anywhere near I70 but even if not, it's worth it- they are homemade and delicious!

Until reading this, I never realized that Utah has their own kind of scone but now this explains why I was so confused when I moved to ny to go to college and everyone else had a completely different conception of what a scone was than I did...

I never realized that Utah has their own kind of scone but now this explains why I was so confused when I moved to ny to go to college and everyone else had a completely different conception of what a scone was than I did...

OH PLEASE do tell the rest of us what they are....pictures would be good.

I'm stunned! Utah scones? Never even heard of them and we have been going to Utah once a year (almost) for years now. Moab. No one ever told me about Utah scones. Maybe they don't sell them in Moab.

Yes, tell.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

They sell them in Moab, Darienne, you just didn't go to those places:-) A little north of I70 in Santaquin, is the Family Tree. They have huge ones they call Elephant Ears. For those not familiar with "our" version, it is simply fried bread dough. Similar to Navajo fry bread, but not cooked in lard (hopefully). Most places that serve breakfast will have them. Slather on some honey butter and you have your heart attack just waiting. Johanna's has good ones, too, but it is in the Salt Lake Valley and too far from I70.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

They sell them in Moab, Darienne, you just didn't go to those places:-) A little north of I70 in Santaquin, is the Family Tree. They have huge ones they call Elephant Ears. For those not familiar with "our" version, it is simply fried bread dough. Similar to Navajo fry bread, but not cooked in lard (hopefully). Most places that serve breakfast will have them. Slather on some honey butter and you have your heart attack just waiting. Johanna's has good ones, too, but it is in the Salt Lake Valley and too far from I70.

You could be right, Ruth, but we have always eaten in the Moab Diner which is about as regular folks as you can get and nope, no Utah Scones. I'll email my various friends and see what I come up with. I did look up some recipes. OMG, there is NOTHING like fried dough!!! Thanks, Ruth. Next time...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

THANKS for the information guys!

AND... if you have NOT had UTAH scones you are SOOO missing out on one of the BEST treats on earth !

There is a chain called chuck-a-rama. its a buffet.... they are in Utah and a few in Idaho. THEY have hot fried scones on their menu and I LOVE to go there when I am passing thur an area I can get to one. I always pig out on their scones and then sneek some into my purse for later on. OMG ! Utah scones are SOOO good !

they are the cousin to fry bread which is my number ONE favorite carb. I love it so much.... i'm gonna learn how to make them. maybe I can learn how to make the scones as well.

ONLY in UTAH can you get UTAH style scones. and they as SOOO worth the trip when they are good.

YEP ! I know about that chuck-a-rama in St. George. That was the first one that I ever ate at. I was trying to figure out a way to to go there but its really 100 miles out of my way. I should try though beause I like the ALL you can eat aspect of those lovely scones. If I can manage it.... I will. I dont get to go there too often and its always a treat when I do.

Thanks for mentioning it.

• 2 weeks later...

Could the 'Utah Scones' be a regional designation?

I have now contacted a number of Utah-born friends, and although some of them have eaten fried dough growing up at home, no one has ever even heard of Utah Scones. All of them currently reside in Moab.

I am still curious about this.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.