• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The high-power blender topic

Fat Guy

I have had two Vita Mix Blenders over 30 years. Outstanding machine. The company sells reconditioned machines that come with same warranty as new at a substantial discount. When one machine does wear out after years of service, they have a trade in program.

alanjesq

I have had two Vita Mix Blenders over 30 years. Outstanding machine. The company sells reconditioned machines that come with same warranty as new at a substantial discount. When one machine does wear out after years of service, they have a trade in program.

alanjesq

Me too. My ancient Vita Mix with the stainless steel jug and the odd-looking T-dowel "pusher" still works just fine and when I was catering, it got an extra-heavy workout. From time to time I dust it off and use it when I need more than one blender at a time.

The "Pantry Pals" 1983 on the right, 1997 on the left.

Vita Mix.JPG

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was in Costco in Washington state last week end and they had a special demo sale on the Vita Mix - priced under $500.

Not sure if this is nation wide - good machine! I'm not aware of anything it can not handle (food wise that is).

If you are trying to buy the blender mainly for drinks, you should try Innomix Surya. It is a heavy duty mixer grinder that makes smoothies in less than a minute. It comes with two stainless steel jars (small one grinds one cup of ingredients and the larger jar two cups of ingredients. In addition, you can powder your nuts, grains and more.

I make my smoothie with nuts (2 each of cashews, pecans, walnuts and almonds), 1/3 apple, 1/2 banana, 4-5 strawberries. No sugar needed.

Innomix Surya right now has a special price of $99.99 till 4/15/11. Get more information on this mixer grinder at http://www.innoconcepts.com/InnomixSurya.htm

There is a huge difference between a 2-cup or 1-pint jar and the 64 ounce/2 QUART Vita Mix jar

For most drinks the smallest functional jar is one quart or 32 ounces, if ice is included but larger is much better, particularly if mixing drinks for several people.

When I have guests, both blenders are ready for use.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We own a Blendtec from Costco (for a year) and have used it endlessly (many times a day, everyday) with no glitches. Paid just a scootch under $400 with a 2 year warranty. This thing will make everything from hot soup to ice cream. A little (frozen) Greek yoghurt, some vanilla and a few berries and ice and you have instant frozen yoghurt. Or add anything you like. We have made some pretty interesting stuff. And I now love (yes love) my Green Smoothies. Apples, oranges, berries, soy milk and handful of greens. Add cilantro or mint to "brighten" the flavors.

You can also find "used" commercial machines at restaurant supply places and on CL. We are looking to buy another one and (sadly) watching for coffee - juice bars that go under.

Vita mix and Blendtec are in a class all their own and will turn anything into a smooth drink unlike a "normal" blender like a kitcheaid. The commercial "smoothy" blenders are like monster trucks and the household typical blender is like a moped.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Ah, every time this comes up I'm ready to pull out my wallet :-)

I have an old Hammilton Beach with lots of different speed buttons, works quite well for what I do with it, which is soups. I am always intrigued by the idea of making soup right in the blender with one of the power tools mentioned here, I'm partial to the vitamix, as I really don't like those foil buttons, I want physical buttons that move, that I can turn. But that's really just a silly preference. I just saw that Costco in Concord CA will have the vitamix people back end of this month, I might just have to go and get one. I'm trying to start a healthier living thing this week, and while I don't care much for sweet things, the idea that I can whip up a veggie juice or even a nice hot soup with fresh stuff from the market, w/o making much of the kitchen dirty, it always intrigues me.

But the OP is looking for a bar blender it seems, and you'd probably not make a spring garlic and onion soup in that one, so you'd at least need a 2nd jar. But IMO this might be better than getting a bar only blender, at least you can use a regular vitamix in the kitchen AND in the bar just fine, a bar only machine might not work as well?

As a side note, does anybody have the extra jar for grinding nuts and grains? Does it work better than the regular jar? The idea of making my own flower appeals to me, and considering how expensive a little grain mill is, this might be a cheaper solution.

If you decide for a Vitamix or a Blendtech you will have a machine that will pretty much work for ever, I'm sure you'll be happy with either. Look at the models, BT is a bit more 'digital' with those foil buttons and set programs, VM is a bit more on the analog side, which I prefer (but could never explain you why either, LOL)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

As a side note, does anybody have the extra jar for grinding nuts and grains? Does it work better than the regular jar? The idea of making my own flower appeals to me, and considering how expensive a little grain mill is, this might be a cheaper solution.

When I got my newer Vita Mix, it came with the extra dry grinding container and the blades are different and are engineered specifically to grind dry grains.

The directions are specific in that the dry container is not to be used for grinding nuts for nut butters, etc.

I used mine quite a bit for grinding wheat, barley, rye and etc., (not corn) and it worked very well for me, however I wanted a greater output because it did take a bit of time to grind the grains in the quantity I needed.

So I retired the Vita Mix dry container and bought a Nutrimill.

I could certainly have gotten along fine without the Nutrimill but as I have the room and am a bit of a gadgeteer I went for it. I still have the dry container, just in case the Nutrimill dies.

• 3 weeks later...

Costco (Santa Cruz, CA) is now stocking the VitaMix as a regular item - model 5200C has the 48 oz. jar (instead of the 64 oz.), and includes $50 coupon for additional container. $380 is same price as during the demo sales.

I use the 32 oz. container about 98% of the time (1 person household).

Edited by ojisan (log)

Monterey Bay area

• 2 weeks later...

well, I finally ended up bringing a brand new white VitaMix 5200 from Costco into the kitchen! I can't wait to play with it, I don't even like smoothies and sweet stuff but got a pile of berries to play with nonetheless. And I have left over vegetable pieces (broccoli stems, tops of baby onions and garlics, etc) that I kept as I knew I was gonna buy this machine today. The demo guy whipped up a great tortilla soup and a tasty fruit smoothie with cabbage and spinach in it in no time. Impressive machine!

Time to play :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

My blender (waring) just isn't doing the trick anymore. It'll blend if i stop and scrape down constantly, but I never get a nice funnel, particularly when blending thicker items like smoothies or pate.

Any recommendations? Im thinking of splurging on a vitamix but dont know if its worth it. I (would) use a blender weekly, for things like soup, mayo, icey drinks and the above mentioned smoothies & pate.

My blender (waring) just isn't doing the trick anymore. It'll blend if i stop and scrape down constantly, but I never get a nice funnel, particularly when blending thicker items like smoothies or pate.

Any recommendations? Im thinking of splurging on a vitamix but dont know if its worth it. I (would) use a blender weekly, for things like soup, mayo, icey drinks and the above mentioned smoothies & pate.

My previous was/is also a Waring. No comparison - after using a Vitamix, you won't look back.

Monterey Bay area

I am majorly prejudiced for the Vitamix and have been for decades.

Before getting my first one, I went through several regular blenders, Oster, Waring, Hamilton Beach and a G.E.

My husband and two of his sons were body builders so the blenders also got a daily workout.

When I added up how much I was spending on replacing the weaker blenders, it was more than I would pay for the Vitamix so I got one. Still have it. Still works.

I do have a newer one which I like even better, but it has been in service for more than a decade.

There just isn't any comparison for me, except for the Blendtec but I've used one and I still like the Vitamix better.

• 2 weeks later...

My current blender is giving out and while I don't really want to spend the money on a high power blender I would rather not keep breaking blenders that do a poor job of blending. I've been looking into this a little and am still having trouble deciding what is best. It seems that a high power blender is worth the money and will pay for itself over the years, but which one? Have there been any updates to the list competitive brands or is it still just Vitamix and Blendtec?

How are all the newer owners of the Blendtec (which pitcher are you using the regular or 'wildslide') and Vitamix blenders think about their machines after living with them for a while?

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

I'm very pleased with my Blendtec - and I am not that easy to please.

I have both pitchers - and have made soups, banana bread batter, various cookie doughs, and many smoothies so far.

It is an attractive machine that fits on the counter (not too tall), so there is no delay in fishing out components and putting it together before use.

andiesnj -- I'm considering buying an old Vitamix 3600 -- similar to the stainless steel one you have in your photo -- since I can't afford a new one. Just wondering whether it fits on a counter under cabinets? And also how it is to clean -- I've never used a blender with a spigot before. Did you often use the spigot or just pour it out of the container. And was it difficult not being able to see through the container to see the status of what you're blending?

andiesnj -- I'm considering buying an old Vitamix 3600 -- similar to the stainless steel one you have in your photo -- since I can't afford a new one. Just wondering whether it fits on a counter under cabinets? And also how it is to clean -- I've never used a blender with a spigot before. Did you often use the spigot or just pour it out of the container. And was it difficult not being able to see through the container to see the status of what you're blending?

It's 21 inches tall with the cap in place, 17 without.

I used the spigot quite often, when blending juices and other thin stuff, especially in multiple batches, much easier than removing the jug and the lids, etc., etc.

My one complaint was not being able to see what was happening in the thing but I learned to dip the "pusher" and look at the consistency of whatever was being blended.

It was especially handy for dispensing soups.

Cleaning was not that difficult - hot water with a couple of drops of Dawn dish detergent, turn on and let it agitate, then open the spigot and let it run out.

Follow up with two rinses of hot water. Rarely needed to do anything else except let it drain and dry.

Are you getting the instruction book with the blender?

Thanks Andie -- Thats a big help! I've been looking on ebay, and sometimes they come with the instructions and sometimes not... Though I'd imagine I could find a scan of the instructions online somewhere. I must say that I love the old-timey soda-shop look of the stainless steel...

• 9 months later...

I took a chance on one after reading through this topic last year. No issues so far but let me know if you have any specific questions.

This fella was figuring that all the "bio-available" nutrients would pass through the body via the blood after he returned home with a $500 blender. A few bruises over a $250 blender may be acceptable.

• 2 months later...

Blendtec has the Wildside jar on sale for $30 off through the 17th of June. I don't need the extra capacity, but for those who have used both, is it worth the $70 investment? What kinds of things does it do better than the standard four side jar?

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs