• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rustwood

rustwood

typos!

12 hours ago, IEATRIO said:

I mix cooked chickpeas and prepared tahina in abut a 1:1 ratio, add a bit of lemon juice, and blend.  It makes my Vitamix very unhappy and often chokes it entirely.

Not to bash Vitamix in any way, but it seems like Blendtec may have an advantage for this application.  Late last year I picked up a Blendtec twister jar and it has worked well for thick stuff like hummus.  Of course it does add cost and storage bulk to the equation.  It is a smaller jar so it generally wouldn't be suitable as a complete replacement for a wildside or fourside jar (I have for latter). 

@IEATRIO unfortunately this obviously isn't going to help you, but I wanted to share it as something to consider for anyone who is deciding which blender to buy - as well as for the Blendtec owners who haven't tried the twister jar.  FWIW, I originally went with the Blendtec mainly because at the time I was able to get it for relatively reasonable price.

rustwood

rustwood

I mix cooked chickpeas and prepared tahina in abut a 1:1 ratio, add a bit of lemon juice, and blend.  It makes my Vitamix very unhappy and often chokes it entirely.

Not to bash Vitamix in any way, but it seem like Blendtec may have an advantage for this application.  Late last year I picked up a Blendtec twister jar and it has worked well for thick stuff like hummus.  Of course it does add cost and storage bulk to the equation.  It is a smaller jar so it generally wouldn't be suitable as a complete replacement for a wildside or fourside jar (I have for latter). 

@IEATRIO unfortunately this obviously isn't going to help you, but I wanted to share it as something to consider for anyone who is deciding which blender to buy - as well as for the Blendtec owners who haven't tried the twister jar.  FWIW, I originally went with the Blendtec mainly because at the time I was able to get it for relatively reasonable price.

rustwood

rustwood

Not to bash Vitamix in any way, but it seem like Blendtec may have an advantage for this application.  Late last year I picked up a Blentec twister jar and it has worked well for thick stuff like hummus.  Of course it does add cost and storage bulk to the equation.  It is a smaller jar so it generally wouldn't be suitable as a complete replacement for a wildside or fourside jar (I have for latter).