• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hexagon frying pans by Staub

Franci

Hello.

I recently bought an hexagon frying pan and I'm still struggling a little bit with it, cooking with ceramic hobs is so irritating. I used a stove temperature too high and I ended up with some burned food. I followed the instructions: I soaked it with warm water and washed with mild detergent. The pan is pretty clean in appearance but the honeycomb is all covered with carbonized material and a non scratch sponge doesn't help much. What to do?

I was hoping to get to a semi no-stick surface, like for regular cast irons skillets.

Any experiences with this pan?

Thanks

To remove carbonized material try lye (works for enamel, cast iron, stainless, but not recommended for copper), if you can get it, or an oven cleaner with lye, like Heavy Duty Easy-Off in the U.S. (not sure what the comparable product would be in Monaco, but it's a foaming lye solution that comes in a spray can).

I have sold Staub for a number of years and I have used it and abused it. I have always found the black enamel to be pretty indestructible and when I have had a "accident" and burned something on the inside base, a stainless steel scrubber and some elbow grease has done the trick. I would not recommend the same treatment for the high gloss enamel on the outside, however.

Thank you, both! I first used my oven spray (it has caustic soda), 4-5 times for no more than half and hour each time, but still didn't manage to take everything off (I didn't burned anything so badly I thought) and resorted to the stainless steel scrubber, although after that maybe just an impression but I could see a little bit discoloration. Then I did the re seasoning they suggest. In all honesty, the idea to go though all this fuss every time I want to brown something or something stick to it just gives me an headache.

I thought the idea of the honeycomb was so food would not get stuck to the pan :wacko: .

For browning, may I suggest a naked cast iron skillet instead? :biggrin:

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.