• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Native American Fry bread

SpaghettiWestern

I've never found it here. I think you have to get over to Indian territory - New Mexico, Arizona, etc.

But you do know you can make it, right? It's not that difficult.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've never found it here. I think you have to get over to Indian territory - New Mexico, Arizona, etc.

But you do know you can make it, right? It's not that difficult.

Care to share the recipe ?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Native American restaurants are rare anywhere, but look for a Native American "Pow Wow"in your area. They happen from time to time in many major metro areas in Texas, and there is always someone selling fry bread.

YEP.... that what i figured. I would have to make it myself or find it at pow wows.

Does anyone know if ANY of the grocery stores in Central Texas carry Bluebird flour from Cortez Colorado?

Thats the flour of choice for Indian fry bread.

If i cant get it in Central Texas I can always pick up a sack on my way thru the Navajo rez.

THEN.... all i need is a good recipe.

Two books, easily available on the internet have great fry bread recipes.

Idonapshe: Let's Eat: Traditional Zuni Foods by Rita Edaakie has a recipe for Zuni Muts'ik'o:we or Fry Bread.

Also try Hopi Cookery by Juanita Tiger Kavena for Wheqwivi or the Hopi version of Fry Bread.

Neither recipe is very complicated and are easy to do.

• 5 weeks later...

When up around Sedona way a couple of weeks ago, there was a stand off the highway selling Native American sterling silver jewelry and fry bread. The gentlemen fried the batter to make the bread while we watched. My wife and I wanted a snack we had a couple of bites. It was OK, I would not go out of my way to buy it again.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

When up around Sedona way a couple of weeks ago, there was a stand off the highway selling Native American sterling silver jewelry and fry bread. The gentlemen fried the batter to make the bread while we watched. My wife and I wanted a snack we had a couple of bites. It was OK, I would not go out of my way to buy it again.

All I can think is that somehow you didn't get very good fry bread, although I have never gotten bad fry bread yet. It is scrumptious. Delicious. A wickedly enjoyable snack. Eaten by thousands. Constantly. Oh well...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

All I can think is that somehow you didn't get very good fry bread, although I have never gotten bad fry bread yet. It is scrumptious. Delicious. A wickedly enjoyable snack. Eaten by thousands. Constantly. Oh well...

Well, then, the next time I have a opportunity to I will give another example a try. If its that good its worth trying again.

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

You can find fry bread up here in Indian Territory, Oklahoma. Most often it is served as Indian Tacos. They even have a National Indian Taco contest over in the Osage Nation at Pawhuska.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

You can find fry bread up here in Indian Territory, Oklahoma. Most often it is served as Indian Tacos. They even have a National Indian Taco contest over in the Osage Nation at Pawhuska.

thats good information to have if i am ever up in Ok. i'll make sure to look for it but i am in Texas and i would like to find it down here. but i dont think there is any.

anyway... thanks

You could google Crazy Crow Trading - they sell supplies for crafts and powwows and are located in Texas. I know they sell a mix but as someone says it's a simple recipe. They might know if anyone in Texas sells it - they are very tied into things Indian (well at least SW type).

Kevin

Powwows happen all over Texas. Here's a link to an upcoming major event near Austin: Austin Powwow where I am sure you will find fry bread.

If you google "Texas Powwow" you will get a number of hits, including two sites that have calendars of Powwows around the country. In at least Texas, Oklahoma and the Southwest, where there is a powwow there is fry bread. That probably also extends from the Northwest into California.

I just got around to looking this up (I was hoping it wouldn't be until fall). Houston Powwows are held at Traders Village, a commercial open air market on 290 just outside the Beltway and the next one is just a week after the Austin one.

Houston Powwow 2010

The Alabama-Coushatta reservation up near Livingston has shut down its tours, gift shop and museum. There's a mention of an annual powwow on the site but no date that I could find.

Hey Thanks for all the information. I was going to get some blubird flour when i was passing thru New Mexico last month to make frybread but i decided against it.

if i have the flour in the house i'll make alot of frybread and i thought maybe its best not to put that on my menu. LOL

if i can buy it occasionally thats ok..... but i dont want to get into making it.... because i'll be eating WAAAY too much of it. i am already hamstrug by my uncontrollable BBQ obsession. i eat it everyday for lunch and cant seem to stay away from the great smoke pits. LOL

i really am trying not to add another unhealthy favourite to my party. i'm TOOOO easy when it comes to foods that i shouldnt eat too much of.

thanks for the info though...... i'll look into it.

and yes... where there is a pow wow..... there is frybread.

in Phoenix.... there is a frybread cafe. Good GOD.... i would be there 3 days a week if i was living there.

i do LOVE the stuff.

pity alot of good things are not good for you.

oh well.

Edited by SpaghettiWestern (log)