• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best pot luck recipes

Darienne

59 minutes ago, TdeV said:

What is Jail Slaw?

That's my favorite slaw recipe, courtesy of the Crittenden County Jail, where I used to eat lunch regularly when I was a young reporter covering court cases. It's cabbage, carrots, bell pepper and onion, if you like those in slaw; dressing of 2:1 cider vinegar:sugar, turmeric, white pepper, celery seed, heated to nearly boiling and poured over the veggies. It sits on the counter for three or four hours to marinate, stirring periodically, then goes in the refrigerator, where it lasts approximately forever.

This is the best slaw made to go with pulled pork barbecue. Or fried catfish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

And I've decided, since I bought one of somebody's fundraiser Boston butts and pulled it and put it in the freezer last weekend, I'll just take that rather than smoking a pork loin. Easy, and already done.

That just leaves beans and slaw to prep. Slaw before I go, beans once I get there. They're easy.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

I'm glad you just went through this exercise, @kayb. I've been thinking about what to bring to a weeklong family reunion / campout. I had already decided, for various times during week, on persimmon bread, your Jailhouse slaw and @Jaymes' cornbread salad. I'd forgotten the devilled eggs trick. Now devilled eggs are on the list as well. 

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 2018-05-21 at 8:57 PM, kayb said:

This is the best slaw made to go with pulled pork barbecue. Or fried catfish.

No oil?  Would you consider putting the recipe in Recipe Gullet?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

No oil?  Would you consider putting the recipe in Recipe Gullet?

Sure. And no, no oil.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.