• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ox Tail and Foie Gras Terrine?

Stone

I'm making my first terrine this weekend. I've found a bunch of recipes for ox tail terrine, but since I'm in the Hudson Valley, I figured I'd try to a foie in the middle. Anyone have a good recipe for how to do this? I've never dealt with foie before. I assume I need to cook it before adding to the terrine?

Pretty basic procedure if you know what you are doing, however I dont have exact amounts so if you are looking for a solid recipe try searching the net.

Let the foie come to room temp, as it warms it becomes malleable and make it easier to remove the veins. Take apart the lobes and remove the veins, dont worry if you break up the foie a lot, its mostly fat and will emulsify back later. If you need help with this step a simple internet search should yield good results.

Season the foie with salt, whatever spices you would like to use, and brandy or cognac. Let sit overnight in fridge.

Cook foie in water bath until about 120-125 farenheit, this can be done in an oven or in a circulated bath, and then emulsify over an ice bath with a whisk.

Once fully emulsified, pour into terrine mold and cool until it sets.

thanks. So, basically, I want to cook braise the ox tail and cook the foie separately? then combine in the terrine? Would it be easier to wrap the foie in cheesecloth and poach it?

thanks. So, basically, I want to cook braise the ox tail and cook the foie separately? then combine in the terrine? Would it be easier to wrap the foie in cheesecloth and poach it?

Definitely. The temperature that all the magic happens for the oxtail is much higher than for the foie.

If I were you I would do a layered terrine, half and half or if you are feeling lucky, the foie in the middle. Then of course, seal it with duck fat...

You could cook as a torchon (in towel) but you would lose a little product, have a somewhat uneven cooking, and it wouldnt fit exactly into a terrine mold. You would still need to de-vein the foie, not a big deal for seared pieces but for terrines I think its necessary.

Perhaps if this is your first venture into terrines and/or foie preparation of this sort, you should attempt separate terrines.

If you are new to terrines, as suggested, concentrate on the simple first. It's a shame to take whole foie and mush it up into a pate. Whole liver is termed foe gras and the mushed up type is pate de foie gras.

Purchase a good foie, clean as directed, find a suitable terrine mold, season and put the whole foie in the terrine mold in a water bath in the oven until done. Over cooking results in fat and little foie.

A terrine of ox tail would have to have pre cooked ox tail because I sure don't know how to get meat off a tail without long slow braising. Then you will need some sort of binder, either fat or the reduced ox tail liquid if it has enough gelatin to bind. I haven't done this type so I really can't suggest a binder except the ox tail reduction and hope it gels or add gelatin. Good luck.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

It's a shame to take whole foie and mush it up into a pate. Whole liver is termed foe gras and the mushed up type is pate de foie gras.

Purchase a good foie, clean as directed, find a suitable terrine mold, season and put the whole foie in the terrine mold in a water bath in the oven until done. Over cooking results in fat and little foie.

A terrine of ox tail would have to have pre cooked ox tail because I sure don't know how to get meat off a tail without long slow braising. Then you will need some sort of binder, either fat or the reduced ox tail liquid if it has enough gelatin to bind. I haven't done this type so I really can't suggest a binder except the ox tail reduction and hope it gels or add gelatin. Good luck.-Dick

I think of pate as more of a combination of ground meat and livers.

If the foie is emulsified correctly after cooking it will solidify and be the same texturally as whole foie, with more even seasoning, cooking, and a cleaner product because of lack of veins.

There should be more than enough gelatin in the oxtails to bind for a terrine.

Here's how it came out.

4660032792_99108bddcf.jpg

I should have cleaned up the cutting board for the picture.

Obviously, I skipped the foie and went with quail eggs in the center. Surprisingly easy the whole thing. Browned 5 pounds of ox tails, sauteed mirapoix, added bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, oregano, red wine and beef stock. Braised for 4 hours. Took out the bones and removed the meat, strained the broth and reduced to about 2 cups. Loaded the terrine and poured the cooled broth on top.

Did pretty much the same thing for rabbit rillettes. Picking out little rabbit bones is a tedious process.

they both went over quite well.

Here's how it came out.

4660032792_99108bddcf.jpg

I should have cleaned up the cutting board for the picture.

Obviously, I skipped the foie and went with quail eggs in the center. Surprisingly easy the whole thing. Browned 5 pounds of ox tails, sauteed mirapoix, added bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, oregano, red wine and beef stock. Braised for 4 hours. Took out the bones and removed the meat, strained the broth and reduced to about 2 cups. Loaded the terrine and poured the cooled broth on top.

That looks great. I want to try that.

Those carrot bits look really small. Did you chop them that small to begin with or did you toss them into a blender afterwards?

Did you chill and defat the broth?

Chopped the carrot and celery pretty small to begin with.

I didn't chill and defat the broth. There didn't seem to be much fat in there. The pieces of tail were pretty fatty, although the butcher and I trimmed much of it. After the braise, I pulled out the fatty bits.

Very nice!. I will have to make an oxtail terrine!

I love rabbit rilletts also. I either use a wild bunny I shot or get one from a Live market. Most of the frozen rabbits for sale come from China.

Nothing better than rilletts, cornichons and crusty bread with red wine!-Dick