• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Family Friendly Near Metro

A co-worker will be in DC for about a week seeing the sights, mostly around the mall and is staying in Roslyn and I was asked for recomendations. I grew in DC but am hopelessly out of touch with the latest on good eats. My co-worker is looking for family friendly recommendations that are easily accessed by the Metro or are in Roslyn where they are staying. I mentioned that McComb & Wisc. had a few alternatives but seeing as that is neither near the metro or in Roslyn I am not sure how much help I have been. But anything in the vein of 2Amy's, Cafe Deluxe, or Cactus Cantina would be appreciated. Thanks for any help. ch

Endless possibilities you you have more specifics to add, but just for starters let me suggest a couple of places that have been friendly to my family for many years;

If he's staying in Roslyn, Ray's the Steaks and

are just one stop away at the Courthouse stop. Ray's isn't exactly a cheap date but is an excellent value if you love a good piece of beef -- I just ate there last week, and vowed to return more often. A little loud and a little frenetic but well worth a visit. The do reserve some tables for walk-ins, but a reservation is recommended. Waits can be long. Also, if your friend drinks wine, the owner views bringing excellent wine to the masses at a very good price as something of a mission (seriously, I've seen him go off on this) and if you don't finish the bottle, you can cork it and bring it home. The sommeliere used to work at the best French Restaurant in town (Robert Parker was a regular) and has shifted gears admirably. Try the Petite Sirah.

Near Dupont Circle (North Exit) (the less-well-known-but-brilliant Phillips Collection is nearby, as well as the Textile Museum and the Woodrow Wilson House, and Embassy row -- but I guess you know this) we always hit Bistro Du Coin, which has both groupies and detractors. Think of it as a neighborhood bar that happens to serve hangar steak (onglet) instead of cheeseburgers (get the hangar if you want beef, their other cuts are authentically mediocre). Always best to go early or late, it can be pretty insane between 7 and 9. Consistently pretty decent food and a fun atmosphere. Two blocks away, at 17th and Q, Trio's serves up decent diner food to an urban eclectic crowd, and, for the kids, makes real milkshakes with real ice cream served in the metal cup they blend it in, with a glass on the side. Very nice. Full bar for dad, if necessary. Forgettable food but sometimes you just want your turkey club and be done with it. It's where my kids learned to eat out.

If you're like me and prefer good old Amurrican pizza to that yuppie "authentic" stuff, Pete's Apizza has the best pie in town, right on top of the Columbia Heights Metro Station. Not sure what a tourist would be in Columbia Heights, unless they just want to hang out in a cool neighborhood, or maybe go to the zoo, but worth it for the pie. Kind of half-way between fast food and a real restaurant, but with decent beer and wine in addition to the high quality apizza.

And, down near the museums, at the Gallery Place Metro, I'd suggest well-regarded tapas joint Jaleo, where even the picky kids can find something and picky adults will enjoy the quality of the cooking.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thanks for the ideas, also, it occurred to me that Old Town Alexandria and Bethesda would be good places to send them for a night out with the family. Good Idea? Any place in particular to eat, or just see what looks good? They aren't real foodies, I think they would love Clyde's in Georgetown for instance. ch

I actually don't get to Old Town much, and if the kids are small it's a bit of a hike from the metro. I hear good things about the Majestic Diner, though (mid-price) and Eve, but that's swank and expensive. Nice place to wander around if you make the trip, though.

I'm not sure I'd Metro from Roslyn to Bethesda -- a long trip. And, I confess, living in town I usually just eat nearby and don't have a heap of Suburban expertise.

I'm good for a Clyde's drop-in any time. Burgers, Martinis, half priced wine on Sunday night. Good place for kids, but can be crowded at prime time. And Georgetown, which is a slightly annoying location for us jaded locals, is a real briar patch for kids. We used to take ours to the book store and -- once they're old enough to appreciate this stuff -- Urban Outfitters, along with a movie at the multi-plex. An excellent escape from high culture. Also consider a late lunch outdoors at the very moderately priced Cafe La Ruche -- or the pricier Bistro Francais, for a tasty steak tartare.

A 15 minute walk from Wisconsin and M gets you to Montrose Park for a picnic (Stock up at Dean and DeLuca) and Dumbarton Oaks for the formal garden/pre-Columbian art aficionado.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Ray's Hell Burger is actually between the Courthouse and Rosslyn metro stops. Definitely not worth taking the Metro from Rosslyn. In the same shopping center is Guajillo, which gets good marks for Mexican food (I have no personal experience there).

Across the street from Ray's is Cafe Assorti (www.cafeassorti.com) - Eastern European food, very reasonably priced.

If they need to use public transportation, there is a bus between Rosslyn and Georgetown, and they can take the Metro to Clarendon or Ballston for several different options. It takes more than an hour to get from Rosslyn to Bethesda via Metro.