• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Salmon at Costco

That's one of my favorite items at Costco and I love it:

$25.89 Kirkland wild Alaskan sockeye salmon 48z (3 lb), individually vacuum packed & quick frozen, boneless, skin on [portion size 5-7z]

I bought it in March 2010 and in December 2009. I hope when I need more they have it. I just adore it.

i know a fish monger who supplies alot of good restaurants in the area and they chuckle a bit when ther hear these prices. they can't get wild salmon from their sources for that price.

they have stopped buying copper river salmon because they would have to sell it for close to $40/ pound. wild king salmon fresh to the wholesaler is selling for $24.50 to the public. i wonder where costco gets this fish?

• 3 weeks later...

wild king salmon fresh to the wholesaler is selling for $24.50 to the public. i wonder where costco gets this fish?

Costco *is* a wholesaler, and a big one. When producers sell into Costco they do it at amazingly low prices because the volume is so high. I don't know the specifics of the salmon Costco is selling but my experience with Costco in general makes me not surprised to hear about yet another good product being sold at something like half the going rate.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've been shopping at costco as long as I can remember, so probably about 20 years now. I really like costco, and I think over the years they have constantly improved the quality of goods and produce they offer. Their return policy and customer service cannot be beat.

Their margin is something like 12.5%, at least it was a couple years ago.

Anyone been to the new(ish) costco in east harlem?

At the Ocean, NJ store they had it 3 weeks ago, didn't have any 2 weeks ago, and had it again last weekend. Quality was excellent and packages were small enough (some only 1.5 lbs) to be useful for small families.

• 1 month later...

Got some in Hackensack last week, $8.99 a pound. At the same time I bought a control sample of the farmed, at $8.79 a pound and poached both the same way. I thought the wild, which had a much deeper, beautiful color than the farmed, was at most slightly better tasting and perhaps not better at all.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I thought the wild, which had a much deeper, beautiful color than the farmed, .

The color is from anthocyanins in the krill & other crustaceans that the salmon eat.

Huge environmental issue here with farmed vs. wild salmon. Wild salmon parrs (immature salmon) leave the rivers where there parents had twinkly eyes (or whatever fish get) and travel out to the ocean to live a life of eat or be eaten. While out in the ocean the adult salmon will have parasites called sea lice attach to them, however the parasite is not a source of death for the adults.

Farmed salmon are placed in cages near the mouths of rivers in many instances where salmon breed and the adult farmed animals have sea lice on them. When the wild parr salmon leave the rivers they are exposed to sea lice much sooner than during the natural course of their existence. THe wild parrs become parasatized by sea lice and a subsequent exponential increase in the mortality rate of the wild salmon.

In essence your money spent on salmon is an environmental vote for the continued aquaculture and probable elimination of wild salmon or to, tongue in cheek, Save the Parr.

Tom Gengo

• 9 months later...