• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Elegant Dining Triangle NC?

We are looking for a romantic, really delicious place in the Raleigh/Durham area to have dinner for our anniversary. Any suggestions? We like interesting, tasty food and cool/interesting/pleasant ambiance. Money less of an object than usual since it's a special occasion. :)

My girlfriend and I had one of the best meals of our life at Bonne Soiree in Chapel Hill...absolutely incredible... The chef came out to speak with us about the courses and the hostess/sommelier (chef's wife) made sure the entire meal and night were fantastic. I would highly recommend Bonne Soiree for any special occasion - one of the very top restaurants in the Triangle! I included some pictures of our meal below...if you'd like more pictures or more information, please feel free to message me!

IMG_0978.JPG

Interior

IMG_0964.JPG

Roast Duck Breast with Duck Rillete

IMG_0966.JPG

North Carolina Chicken

IMG_0945.JPG

Savory Tart (caramelized onion and goat cheese)

IMG_0950.JPG

Boudin Blanc

IMG_0948.JPG

Seared Foie Gras with North Carolina Apple (best bite of food I have ever had...)

IMG_0956.JPG

Flounder with House-Made Gnocchi

Just saw that you were looking for the "Raleigh/Durham area" - we also had fantastic meals at Nana's in Durham and Solas in Raleigh...again, feel free to let me know if you would like some pictures or more information on the meals!

I agree with Bonne Soiree, but feel some of the most elegant, sophisticated and refined food is coming out of Fearrington House in Pittsboro. I have had many meals there over three chefs, and my last two have been in the top three I have had there. If you do a package with three courses on a Sunday or weekday and then add a course ($10 per) I feel it is a real deal considering the afternoon tea and breakfast included in the charge. If the hotel is not full, they will upgrade you. There wine list also has a lot of interesting bottles in the $50 and under price point. Service is fantastic.

Nate

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Lantern in chapel hill....google it, one of the best in the nation, and def an interesting, different atmosphere. and they're really consistent... Bon Soiree may be closed, but if not, worth the effort.

Also Fearrington House near Chapel Hill.

While here, hit the original home of nouvelle southern, Crook's Corner (honeysuckle sorbet in season, kind of distills the idea).... which is best patio dining in the Triangle, though do it on a second night, sounds like you want the high end, and they're not quite that... just special.

Magnolia Grill in Durham, meanwhile, remains a kind of yardstick for doing fine dining with a southern twist properly.