• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spaghetti & Meatballs with Red Gravy

angevin

I was just dining with some unadventurous eaters and we ended up at Ralph's, and they loved their spaghetti and meatballs. I like the gnocchi myself, and I always get meatballs.

But really, I'm not being dismissive, I think you will do pretty well at any of the places you (and Mr Big) mentioned, all of them can do pasta with red sauce, with meatballs, and it'll be delicious.

Villa di Roma has waitresses that will call you hun. Ralph's has waiters who will scowl at you, but they mean it in a nice way.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Villa di Roma is great (I've never been to Ralph's.) I like their cheap house wine. You could also check out Marra's or Scannicchio's, if you want to go a little further south.

Edited by zeffer81 (log)

Went to Villa last night - myself, my three kids and my son's girlfriend. We had a fantastic time!

Yes, the meatballs were killer, the mussels fabulous, especially the red. I thought the fried asparagus appetizer was a little strange, served on top of a watery cheese sauce. But loaded up with the grated parm on the table, we scarfed them down pretty quickly, so they couldn't have been that bad.

The brown sauce on the Chicken Livers Romano was especially noteworthy - flavorful, rich, lots of impact and loaded with bell peppers. The tomato sauce was the best I ever had, both on the spaghetti with meatballs and the eggplant parm. Chunky, rich and savory, but with a fresh brightness in both color and flavor; difficult to achieve both elements at the same time. I don't know how they do it.

On the downside, the pasta was no better than Barilla out of the box and the gnocchi were disappointingly chewy. Lobster Francese was ok - two succulent pieces of lobster tail, pounded and breaded, but the sauce was a bit starchy and bland.

The service was rude and quirky, but with a wink and a smile, and I loved how when I ordered a carafe of wine, tumblers were brought out for everyone, no questions asked. For a Tuesday, it was pleasantly busy and boisterous, relaxing and homey - no need to use our "indoor voices".

All-in-all, I'd go back if I had a craving for red gravy cuisine, but I wouldn't plan it as a destination place.

Villa di Roma has always been one of my favorite spots, but gave me sticker shock today. I phoned in an order for a Villa Salad (double salad used to run maybe $8) and an order of spaghetti with meat sauce. Asked a friend to pick it up. Total came to $33.65. What's up with that?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter