• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta restaurant changes

JAZ

John Kessler reported in his blog on big changes for Joe Truex and Mihoko Obunai-Truex -- yesterday's post revealed that Mihoko is taking over Repast as owner and chef, and today he reported that Joe has been named chef and partner at Watershed in Decatur.

While Truex will leave many of the restaurant’s signature dishes — including its iconic Tuesday-night fried chicken — he plans to change the menu more frequently than it did under Peacock’s leadership and to introduce more daily specials that reflect seasonal produce. He will also take a lead role in remaking Watershed’s wine program.

Truex will join co-owners Ross Jones and Emily Saliers as a managing partner. Saliers, who is half of the folk-rock duo Indigo Girls, calls the hiring of Truex a “no-brainer.”

I'm interested to see what happens at both places. The one time I went to Watershed I found the food good enough but boring, the space loud and the service unprofessional, but with Joe heading the kitchen, I'll give it another chance.

Since I live right up the street from Repast, I'm more interested in what will change there. I don't know how much of the previous menu was from Joe and how much from Mihoko, but Joe was definitely the FOH presence. I can't help thinking that his absence will make a big difference in the atmosphere there.

• 1 month later...

Repast is closing as Joe Truex is heading to Watershed in Decatur. Apparently it was too much to keep it going but I do not know the whole story. Today's AJC had a story on Joel's closing and Rexall's up in Duluth has temporarily closed b/c of failure to pay taxes. Rexall's is going to re-open in the next couple of weeks but you will have to get your drug store counter food fix else where for the time being.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

• 2 weeks later...

FLIP announced today a new location opening in Buckhead. At Piedmont and Roswell Road in a former Blockbuster store (?)

I want to see one in Alpharetta so I can work there and eat close to home, LOL.

Edited by Doodad (log)