• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The high price of limes

JAZ

If you are in the greater Los Angeles area, look for a Vallarta Supermarket for any produce.

It is the only place I buy citrus because the quality is excellent and the prices are better than any other place in my city.

They have the Mexican (Key) limes most of the time and they also have "sweet" limes which are actually Meyer lemons or as near as makes little difference.

They have multiple varieties of bananas and the best prices on mangos and papayas as you can find anywhere.

I buy loads of these fruits when I am going to be drying fruits or candying peel.

Link for locations

One of my friends lives in Escondido and was thrilled when the store opened near to her home. She grows her own citrus but has become addicted to the tortillas.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Last time I bought some, they were 5 for $1 at the local "fancy pants" supermarket (Central Market). They actually have better prices on limes than the standard mega marts. Been a while since I have been one of the nearby ethnic markets lately. Dunno what they are charging these days.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

If you are in the greater Los Angeles area, look for a Vallarta Supermarket for any produce.

It is the only place I buy citrus because the quality is excellent and the prices are better than any other place in my city.

They have the Mexican (Key) limes most of the time and they also have "sweet" limes which are actually Meyer lemons or as near as makes little difference.

They have multiple varieties of bananas and the best prices on mangos and papayas as you can find anywhere.

I buy loads of these fruits when I am going to be drying fruits or candying peel.

Link for locations

One of my friends lives in Escondido and was thrilled when the store opened near to her home. She grows her own citrus but has become addicted to the tortillas.

I agree about Vallarta supermarkets, as well as other Mexican megamarts, like Ranch Markets. I have been able to get limes at $1/pound, or even 2 lbs/$1 sometimes. Haven't been lately so no idea what prices are now. But they never seem to get very high.

Vons has lemons for 69¢ EACH! Ridiculous. I also got some enormous navel oranges at Vallarta. Perfect for candying the peel - they have the thicker skin that is necessary for this use.

After removing the peel with my "trick" process, I am going to freeze the oranges whole then thaw them and put them through the juicer. I have been told that this will yield more juice and I am going to try my hand at making orange wine. A recipe from the Jane Austen era.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett