• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Restaurants Near Royal Oaks, MI

I assume it's Royal Oak. Can you provide any parameters? For example, will they have a car? (It's metro Detroit, so that's probably a silly question.) How far, time-wise, are they willing to drive? Do they have any preferred cuisine(s) or price range? In my experience, you can get passable food in Royal Oak proper, but the cool or go-to places are in the surrounding communities, many of which aren't too long a drive away. For example, just a few miles down the road in Ferndale is Angel's Cafe and Gallery. A little further away, in West Bloomfield, are a couple of excellent Japanese restaurants, Sharashu Sushidokoro and Kitchen Hanzo, and the multi-award-winning, very expensive The Lark, with chef de cuisine and upcoming Top Chef contestant John Somerville.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Given those parameters, I'd still avoid Royal Oak proper, except perhaps for the vegetarian Inn Season Cafe. The best places, in my opinion, are just a few miles away. For example, down Woodward, in Ferndale, I've already mentioned Angel's Cafe. Then there's the Mediterranean-oriented Assaggi Bistro, on 9 Mile just off Woodward. Going east on 13 Mile to John R brings you to the excellent Vietnamese Thuy Trang Restaurant, in Madison Heights. Going west on 12 Mile to Greenfield gets you to the eclectic (and busy) Sweet Lorraine's.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm going to disagree with Alex here about Inn Season Cafe, and I'm going to disagree just AS HARD AS I CAN...it's a lousy place, and should be avoided at all costs. His others suggestions, however, are pretty good, though I can't say that I've been to all of them.

I'm going to disagree with Alex here about Inn Season Cafe, and I'm going to disagree just AS HARD AS I CAN...it's a lousy place, and should be avoided at all costs. His others suggestions, however, are pretty good, though I can't say that I've been to all of them.

That's OK. I used to like the place but it's been quite a while since I've been there. Sorry to hear that. What's lousy about it nowadays?