• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Canada

Pam R

So seal was ok but horse is not?

You know, if someone were cooking dogs on the show, I would find it very offensive. On the flip side, a vegan is going to be offended by everything on the show.

The use of horse doesn't offend me at all. Almost everything is food for somebody, somewhere. I wonder what those offended over the horse meat would say to someone offended by the eating of cows or pigs?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It doesn't bother me, either.

In fact I'm curious to see how they prepare it.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

I think I'm a bit disappointed that they felt the need to cave and play a disclaimer regarding the ingredients this week. I realize ratings are part of the game for a tv network but this is a little silly. I've seen shows about cannibals eating humans on learning channels that didn't feel the need to use disclaimers about what was being eaten.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm looking forward to this episode.

I was served horse meat at a restaurant in Havana but it was so long ago I don't remember what it was like. I wish I knew where to buy some. Do the primal cuts break down like beef? Is a colt more like veal than lamb?

So many questions . . .

<edit for punctuation>

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I've never seen a disclaimer quite like that one. Horse and foie aren't a big deal in Quebec..was there anything else that was questionable for sensitive viewers? Is Skate being over-fished?

Laura Calder would have been a perfect judge for the series. The woman knows her stuff. She is far more eloquent than the "IT COULD BE VOMIT..IT COULD BE VOMIT" woman.

I've never seen a disclaimer quite like that one. Horse and foie aren't a big deal in Quebec..was there anything else that was questionable for sensitive viewers? Is Skate being over-fished?

It was complete nonsense that there was even an issue with horse, of course, of course. But I was pleased to learn that the skate used was a sustainable fish, because yes, skate is normally considered unsustainable. (Does anyone remember the name of the fish they used instead? I didn't recognize it.)

Normally, seeing an episode like this, I would have gotten annoyed by the network's decision to use an unsustainable fish, but I wouldn't have bothered to contact them to complain or find out exactly which fish was used. As silly as the disclaimer was, it did provide me with information I wouldn't have had otherwise.

But on to more serious matters: What do we think of Chris being eliminated? I admit I was a little surprised; I thought either Darryl or Todd would be the one to go. Darryl because his dish showed a lack of basic understanding about seasoning, and Todd because he didn't make his dish to spec, and used store-bought puff pastry. They made a point of decrying Todd's unwillingness to push, and then turned around and eliminated a chef who did push, by trying to make a foie gras torchon when he didn't have enough time. Seems like a mixed message to me.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

(Does anyone remember the name of the fish they used instead? I didn't recognize it.)

It was Cuckoo Ray.

• 1 month later...

It was nice to see Rob Feenie on the show...but I squirmed a little when he critiqued the food of the kid who took over his kitchen after he was ousted. Not that he didn't deserve it, but still, must have been a bit hard for him not to fire back.

I'd love to see Connie win...but chances are good she will be the next one to go.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

We ate at Connie's restaurant last week, here in Calgary. It was very very good. Her husband wouldn't tell us who won!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 3 weeks later...

No thoughts on the finale?

I like Connie, but was actually surprised she made the final 3. Leading up to it, I actually thought Rob might walk away the winner, but then his final menu was a little odd.

And, finally, do y'all think Dale cheated?

I didn't really keep up with the show (mostly because I couldn't remember when it was on), but I was secretly rooting for Dale - rooting for the home team, and all that. :raz:

Made a point to watch the finale though.

As for whether Dale cheated or not, in a post-finale interview he said that he had asked & received permission from the judges to make an extra dish, it just wasn't aired: Vancouver Sun

And, finally, do y'all think Dale cheated?

I'm going with no, he didn't cheat. The main reasons being that he served it as one course even if it was on two plates and, more importantly, I picked Dale to win at work after the second episode so I don't want to be wrong. :raz: