• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Smoking Section

ChefCrash

I've been itching to fire up the smoker. Today was predicted to be a great day and it was.

Started at 10:30am with two slabs of ribs, and a 5# butt. At 1 pm I added a whole trout and some cheese filled and bacon wrapped Jalapenos and corn on the cob. Oh and a tray of kosher salt.

Smoking-ribs-fish-butt.jpg

Three beers later @ 3pm

Smoked-fish-corn-abts.jpg

The salt

smoked-salt.jpg

The ribs will need another hour and a half, buy then the coals will be dead and the butt will go in the oven @250*F til done.

Good work ChefCrash. I like the salt idea too.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

It's like you read my mind. Did my first bit of smoking this year, yesterday. Just some chicken and baby back ribs, in fact it was my first time bbqing ribs. The flavour was wonderful and it was a big hit. Though some bits were a bit over done but came out like sweet pork candy, not bad for a Chinese Brit eh?

The trout looks spetacular btw

gallery_52657_5922_38133.jpg

all looks very tasty! I've been smoking single pieces but never did a marathon like this. Great idea with the salt, I'll do that next time!

Thanks Oliver, my smoker is large and consumes 15# of charcoal in six hours (not efficient). I always smoke something extra like a turkey breast or a pork butt which will be pulled apart, portioned and frozen.

Good work ChefCrash. I like the salt idea too.

Thanks Dakki, this is the first time I try the salt. It didn't work. After 3.5 hours of intense Hickory smoke, there is no hint of Hickory via smell or taste. In fact there is a slight hint of Zankha, from the pork and the fish. Maybe someone can chime in about this.

I'll try to smell and taste it tomorrow after I get all the smoke out of my head:).

About 4:30pm the fire started to die, the butt came off and went in the oven

smoked-butt.jpg

Smoked beans

smoked-beans.jpg

Finished ribs at about 5:30pm

Smoked-ribs.jpg

One huge smoke ring

ribs2.jpg

It's like you read my mind. Did my first bit of smoking this year, yesterday. Just some chicken and baby back ribs, in fact it was my first time bbqing ribs. The flavour was wonderful and it was a big hit. Though some bits were a bit over done but came out like sweet pork candy, not bad for a Chinese Brit eh?

The trout looks spetacular btw

gallery_52657_5922_38133.jpg

Down right sexy P.C. We just ate and now I want chicken. Like a scene from the Flintstones. You should tackle some spare ribs next. How are you guys getting those large photos on here? Help?

Hi ChefCrash,

Been trying to smoke baby backs for some time now and it has always turned out a tad dry or over. I have tried brining them etc... The picts look great! Any particular temp you maintained to finish the ribs?

thanks

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

The chop looks fantastic David G. The second photo is beautifully done.

Hi docdix, the ribs we cooked today are spareribs, a tougher part of the pig. The smoker temperature hovered between 200*F and 250*F. They usually take about six hours. While baby backs are good I don't cook them. They are cut from the pork loin and don't need to be cooked very long.

If you'd describe your method of cooking/smoking, maybe someone here can advise you better.

Ahh, smoking season! We've had the smoker fired up a few times in the last month or so, and are looking forward to much more to come.

Quick-smoked (about an hour) tri-tip - with a temperature-probe hole through it for authenticity :-)

IMG_5355.JPG

Smoked homemade bratwurst:

IMG_5357.JPG

While the bratwurst was smoking underneath, we did almonds on top.

IMG_4928.JPG

It was our first attempt at smoking almonds, and they were very nice as a snack to accompany a cocktail.

IMG_5059.JPG

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

• 1 month later...

Mike, your tri-tip looks so buttery.

Local guys haven't heard of this cut :unsure: . I had to travel 20 minutes to Merindorf's to find tri-tip. Upon their recommendation I used some "Ultimate Steak and Roast Rub by Excalibur" to season along with kosher salt. I smoked it on the Weber.

Tri-Tip.jpg

The relatively flat roast reached temperature quicker than anticipated. I removed it from the smoker while we finished grilling a trout. The tri tip was reheated briefly on the coals.

Tri-Tip-smoked.jpg

The final temperature may have gotten away a little. Still was delicious. The seasoning was a nice change from my usual rosemary/thyme etc. which is a little Holiday-ish for a hot summer day.

Tri-Tip-Sliced.jpg

Made great tacos

Tri-Tip-Tacos.jpg