• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas-Style BBQ - Eastern Ontario

ElsieD

Today my husband & I went to a restaurant called D & S Southern Comfort BBQ located in the metropolis of Carlsbad Springs, about 1/2 hour east of Ottawa. It had been recommended to us by an acquaintance. Please note that I am in no way affiliated with this restaurant. I am posting this because true smokehouse bbq places are rare in this neck of the woods and I thought other BBQ lovers might like to know about this place.

I had a sampler plate which consisted of a mini pulled pork sandwich topped with cole slaw, ribs, chicken wings and onion rings which were served with a chipotle mayo sauce. My husband had brisket which he had with fries (homemade) and hush puppies. Other sides are available. We inhaled our food - it was delicious, properly smoked and cooked. For dessert we had apple cinnamon deep fried spring rolls served with pecan ice cream, whipped cream with a chocolate "cigar" and caramel sauce. We then decided to get a take out order of amardillo eggs, which are cheddar cheese stuffed jalapeno peppers wrapped in sausage. In order to try some more of their sides, we ordered the baked beans and corn bread. We will eat that later tonight. There is much more on the menu - beef ribs come to mind. For Father's Day they are having a brunch which will feature all of their BBQ items. I should mention that prices are reasonable, and the service excellent. For those who do not care for BBQ (there are some of those, I hear) they have many other items on their menu. For die-hard BBQ enthusiasts, I whole-heartedly recommend you visit this restaurant. If you have any questions about this restaurant, just ask!

Edited by ElsieD (log)

Thanks for the information. I'll pass it on to my Ottawa friends. And if we ever get to Ottawa again...we'll go there for sure.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.