• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine stored in plastic bottles and boxes

Don Giovanni

Wine stored in plastic bottles and boxes 'loses its flavour within six months'

Click On Me

Researchers at the Institute of Vine and Wine Sciences (ISW) in Bordeaux, France, found that the alcohol starts to oxidise in this time period if it is packed in single and multi-layer polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles or a bag-in-box.

From the article:

While gas levels and the taste of white wine were found to changed in the plastic and bag-in-box packs over the year, there was little change in the red wine.

And, as pointed out by several of the article's commenters, who cares?! :laugh:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

From the article:

While gas levels and the taste of white wine were found to changed in the plastic and bag-in-box packs over the year, there was little change in the red wine.

And, as pointed out by several of the article's commenters, who cares?! :laugh:

looks like the people who studied it cared enough... I care...maybe someone else might care...you don't care...we get that...Cheers !~!!

Research by the Institute of Vine and Wine Sciences in Bordeaux found that the flavour and chemical composition of white wine changed within six months of being packed in single and multilayer polyethylene bottles.

I don't know how long it takes to get these wines on the store shelf after bottling/packing, but if it's longer than six months, this reads to me as if the wine could already be heading downhill before the consumer even buys it.

• 2 months later...

that's the point they start to die before they ever get to market... they sit in warehouses for months on end... by the time you get them you may well be at 6 months or longer...

I had a person who works for a chocolate company and he told me the chocolate you get is min 6 months old... he gave me some fresh off the line... about one week in and let me tell you ... in a blind tasting the fresher chocolate always wins... Cheers !!!