• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

meeting an old college roommate - need suggestions in the East Village

ratgirlny

I am meeting up with my favorite college roommate, who I haven't seen since 1983. We are meeting up in the East Village on Sunday evening. She lives in FL, but works in the travel industry, so she goes out to eat often in interesting places around the world. I, on the other hand, have 3 small kids, and though they are foodie kids, we tend to eat at the ethnic, kid-friendly places. So while I might know the interesting Chinese spots in, say, Flushing, I am at a loss when it comes to a kid-free girls night out. I am looking for a place with good wine or beer, interesting but not high end food, and a relaxed quiet atmosphere where we could catch up. We need to be able to get in without a reservation because I am not sure exactly of our timeing. I am hoping that 6:30-ish on a Sunday might not be too bad. I am considering Hearth simply because I was there recently for a kiddie birthday party (the chef is a dad at my kids daycare), and it looked interesting - plus the food they fed the parents was yummy. What other options do we have?

• 3 weeks later...