• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cured Pork Chaps

I bought some Cured Pork Chaps from waitrose the other day & (finding little inspiration from the google search) I was hoping someone here might have some ideas on how to get the best out of these fatty nuggets.

thanks

Amy

Google for Bath Chap instead, I've never known them called pork chaps before.

We've tried Waitrose pork chaps a few times, but I'm not sure we've got it right yet.

The problem is that while it's easy to find recipes like the one you suggested which tell you how to prepare Bath chaps from the raw materials (including curing them) the Pork chaps that Waitrose are selling are already cured. They're not rolled, they're not cooked, but they are salted. Very heavily salted. I think they're too thick to roll the way Bath chaps are usually done.

thanks to you both, I had considered altering a bath chap recipe but I had gotten a little confused about what a bath chap actually was as there seemed to be conflicting descriptions on different sites - some saying the bath chap was smoked, and at least one mentioned that the tongue is rolled up with the cheek. Anyway I guess it's a starting point for some experimentation - thanks Duncan for the salt warning!