• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Palak Paneer vs. Saag Paneer

tino27

Had lunch recently at a local Indian restaurant and decided on getting what was labeled simply "Paneer" on the menu. When it came out, it was what I was expected, curried spinach with paneer, but when I started researching it later on, I came across two different names for what appears to be spinach with cheese, Palak Paneer vs. Saag Paneer. Is the difference in name regional? Are there subtle differences in these two dishes?

I also noticed that spinach with chickpeas can be referred to as Palak Chana vs. Saag Chana.

I guess I'd just like to know which name to use when I am describing the dish.

Thanks!!

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Palak is the punjabi word for spinach...so Palak Paneer is just that - spinach with paneer.

Saag is kind of a generic term for greens...so Saag Paneer could have spinach, or watercress, or mustard greens, or even brussel sprouts, gai lan or kale or whatever is fresh at the market.

So Palak Chana would be just spinach, and Saag Chana could be anything green.

Hope that helps :-)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

So then technically, Palak Paneer could be called Saag Paneer, but not necessarily the other way round (if something other than spinach were used). Correct?

And, yes, that did help. I've seen it labeled on menus both ways and now I know the difference.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Palak means spinach, so if it's palak, you are only getting spinach. If it's Saag, there is something else in there with the spinach. Or there is no spinach at all :smile: I would imagine that there are a lot of places that use Saag when they mean Palak because that's what's familiar. I usually just ask, especially after a nasty brush with a broccoli version. I hate broccoli. :raz:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten