• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Talula's Table bad news for all concerned...

gfweb

Obviously you never saw THIS post on Foobooz dated March 12, 2010, following Michael Klein's report in his Insider blog. Seems you're a bit behind on this particular piece of "news". I'm really not sure why a couple's personal life needs to be spread all over a real newspaper in tabloid-like fashion. Not sure this is newsworthy seeing as how the divorce rate nationwide is hovering slightly above 50% these days. If the average couple has less than a coin flip's chance of making it, it's hardly stunning news that a couple that spends every waking moment together can't either. Bryan is already on his SECOND new job since the first report and his career movements have been over-reported to death as well. It would seem to the casual observer that he has a problem with commitment...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I believe you've misinterpreted my disdain. It is directed neither at you nor at the News-Journal, but more at the seemingly endless column inches the Philadelphia Inquirer food section seems to devote to Amy Olexy, Bryan Sikora and their restaurants/personal life/professional lives, etc. Who cares anymore?? Let's allow them to live their lives, both personal and professional, out of glare of the constant commentary. Jeezus! I'm so over it. I can't even imagine having my life eviscerated for public viewing and commentary on top of dealing with a divorce and the pressures of owning a small business. Leave them the hell alone already. It's no more or less interesting than any of the other myriad folks dealing with their own version of the story. Pack up the cameras and notebooks and move on people. Nothing to see here...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I agree. But this brings up the question about how much prying a celebrity chef can stand or deserves. Somewhere between being me and being Mario Batali is line past which public scrutiny is to be expected. Not to say Sikora has courted publicity (I have no idea), but those who have press agents whose job is to keep their name in the media may get more than they bargain for. Two sided coin..double edged sword etc.

Agreed. But no publicist worth their ridiculous retainer fees would court the sort of intrusive and seemingly negative press that much of this has qualified as. I'm just tired of the over hyped, over exposed and over reported "story" of absolutely anything, no matter how trivial or inappropriate for public knowledge that has to do with the Olexy/Sikora juggernaut. Over it. On every level. For chrissakes they have a child that will some day learn how to work Google. Does this trail of excrement posing as news need to be out there in cyberspace for that poor child to find?? Children of divorce have it rough enough without throwing gasoline on the fire. Leave it the hell alone already. Amy Olexy and Bryan Sikora are certainly newsworthy, locally and regionally if not nationally, but after a certain point classifying them as "celebrity chefs" seems more than a bit exaggerated. Certainly not worthy of the same coverage as the train wreck personal life of Todd English, for example, who owns a small empire of restaurants in Boston, Las Vegas, franchised in various locations, etc. It's just not the same thing. And his personal life matters not a whit to me as long as it doesn't effect my ability to get a reservation at one of his restaurants, if and when I should desire one.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Bryan is already on his SECOND new job since the first report and his career movements have been over-reported to death as well. It would seem to the casual observer that he has a problem with commitment...

Sorry, but i think your last comment is a bit unfair. Like you said, lets just let it go and leave them in peace to sort out a tough situation that probably doesn't have any easy answers.

• 2 weeks later...

The split and his becoming Corporate Chef for SoDel concepts was reported in Michael Klein's Insider column on March 12, 2010. The news of his joining Daniel Stern's team as Culinary Director was reported in the same column by the same source on May 3, 2010. That's 52 short days by my count. Sound like an employee you'd want to hire?

I stand by my comment. Job hopping is rarely seen as a plus by employers in any industry. Especially at that level of responsibility.

Regardless of what others may think, it really isn't news every time he farts. I'm over it. I'll bet he is too.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

since you asked... yes, i would hire bryan if owned a restaurant and needed a chef. no brainer really. he's tremendously talented.

and i'll stand by my comment that your swipe at him was unfair. especially after you expressed concern that his daughter may google all this up one day.

to the casual observer, movement of bartenders, waiters, chefs, etc is not uncommon. no?

lastly, this news wasn't beaten to death in delaware and southern pa. so, the thread was legitimately posted. michael klein, his blog, and foobooz aren't widely read in these parts and this forum does include ares outside of philadelphia.

i'd like to see this forum regain it's activity of a few years ago. some new threads are a good thing. right??

i'd like to see this forum regain it's activity of a few years ago. some new threads are a good thing. right??

There has been a downturn. Seasonal perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard from one person (a "regular," as much as one can be at Talula's Table) who said the food is just as good as it ever was and that the staff is much happier without the tension before Brian left.

wkl, gfweb, yes, there has been a downturn and it's been a while. Let's hope it passes.

As to the food, we were at Talula's very recently. It's still very good. It was perhaps a little more... refined? Balanced? Had a lighter touch? before but it's still one of our go-to places. And this after I raised hell & high water about their reservation policy in another thread...

• 3 weeks later...

Sikora Leaves the Stern fold

Awesome. Made it two whole months.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!