• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alphonso Mangoes in the UK

Now May's here so are the wonderful Alphonso mangoes.

I work in London and live in Surrey, so to save me driving to the other side of Croydon at the weekend (to the Thornton Heath Indian grocers), has anyone seen any in any shops in Central London or Surrey please?

A friend of mine had some incredible Alphonso mangos from Goa and brought them into work to share yesterday.

They were spectacular.

He got them from an Indian supermarket in Leicester (Macdonald Road).

Anyone know any decent sources in the West Midlands?

I am your man for finding Indian mangoes in Brum. The alphonso season started infeasibly early this year, the first week in March - I've been keeping track of it in this thread here. The early season mangoes weren't great but the past two or three weeks they have been incredibly sweet.

If you know Brum well then try:

- Golden supermarket at the top of Springfield parade, Stratford Rd (about 0.25m from Jyoti's). They even have a car park. Rai & Chaudry at the opposite end of the parade will also do but inconvenient if you're driving.

- A K Supermarket, Coventry Rd, Small Heath, opposite the park. The best fruit in the whole city.

If they do not have Alphonso do not pass over the Badami or Kesar mangoes, they are just as good. Good hunting.

IMO do not go for pretty looking smooth skinned Alfonso's, they aren't ready at that point, they are at their best when you have to eat them standing over a sink. You will be able to tell beacuse they look slightly past their best, the skin verging on wrinkly with a few discoloured spots, you will be able to smell them from ten yards. Go to an Indian or Pakistani store (though the latter may argue, and its difficult to decide, that honey mangoes are better) and buy a box of 6, 8 or 12 depending on the size. Never buy them at somewhere like Borough market. Last year you could get 6 - 8 good sized mangoes for around £4 once the season really got going, on occasion I've got them for £2.50 - £3.00. They are one of the best fruits going when properly ripe, in Tooting and Norbury you will sometimes see the shopkeepers standing guard over the boxes and if they are good it is difficult to get them to come down on the price.

If you want an alcoholic mango treat try making Dale's ultimate Mango-rita (the Dale in question being Dale Degroff). They are sublime with an Alfonso or honey mango.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 2 weeks later...

Any luck with your Alphonso mango hunt Nickloman? I bought three boxes of Alphonso from AK Supermarket last week but Goldens' have stopped selling them. You find that once the Pakistani "honey" mangoes come in they start to dominate the market.

Though saying that there is a surefire source of all kinds of mango in Brum - the Wholesale Market. I went this morning and Alphonsos are £4.50 for 1/2 doz.

Nope, not tried yet, I had planned to go back when I posted my original message, the day before we flew on holiday, but my better half convinced me that half a dozen dripping mangos was not the thing to try and take on the plane. But I am very much back on the hunt so I will be visiting one of your suggestions in the next day or two!!