• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese food in space

CFT

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7718570/Dog-on-the-menu-for-Chinese-astronauts.html

A bit of a fuss about dog being on the menu but I'm sure most of us can overlook that. The menu looks quite appetising. I wonder if they have to change the recipes because tastes change at altitude?

NASA has said space food must be easy to prepare and eat, and usually has lower fat, fewer calories and less salt.
A selection of dishes from the Chinese Astronaut menu (2009 mission)

Day One: Lotus root porridge, crispy tofu with spring onions, braised yellow croaker fish, pork ribs with seaweed, spinach with minced garlic.

Day Two: Spicy pig skin, braised duck neck, hairy crab with ginger, chicken liver with chilli, pine nuts with sweetcorn, three-flavour soup.

Day Three: Poached egg in fermented rice soup, Harbin sausage, Huajiang dog, baby cuttlefish casserole, eel with green pepper, spicy beans with dried tofu.

Apples, pears and oranges served with every meal, as well as rice, noodles, sweet potatoes.

Best Wishes,

Chee Fai.

I don't know what the menus are for NASA missions but I can't imagine it being nearly as good as this.

I wonder if all of that (especially the hairy crab and eel) were deboned. Must be a mess to eat that stuff in microgravity.

• 3 weeks later...