• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer Keg Tandoor

Luke

Complete and utter hooey.

There's no oil/food based coating on the planet that will survive 419 C (786 F).

"That's what master chefs in New Delhi taught me to do," says Garg. But he admits that his teachers "could not explain the science."

I wonder why :biggrin:

• 9 months later...

A few people have inquired as to the Tandoori Marinade I use. My recipe is inspired from Vah Chef (http://www.vahrehvah.com/) but I find the written recipes on that site are woefully inaccurate. The videos are more helpful. I have experimented over time but this is what I have settled on.

Tandoori Powder

- This recipe can be scaled as required. I normally make 20x this quantity and store in a jar. Mix well.

- Best results are obtained when spices and ground whole in a coffee/spice grinder.

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp garam masala

1 tsp kasoori methi leaves (ground dry fenugreek leaves)

1 tsp ground black pepper

2 tsp red chilli powder

1 tsp ground turmeric

For the marinade (typical quantity for say, 10 lamb loin chops)

3 Tbl Tandoori Powder

2 Tbl garlic/ginger paste

1.5 cups of thick greek yogurt

2 Tbl (40ml) lime juice

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp red food colouring (optional)

1 tsp besan (chickpea) flour (optional)

Mix all ingredients together with a whisk. Liberally coat meat to marinade and leave for 6 to 24 hours as required.

The red food colouring is optional, but they use in restaurants to obtain to the desired colour.

The besan flour will help stop the yogurt from splitting when cooked.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Luke

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Recipe for Naan is as follows (sorry for delayed response :) )

INGREDIENTS

• 450g (3 cups) bread flour
  • 7g sachet (2 teaspoons) dried yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon caster sugar
  • 185ml (3/4 cup) warm water
  • 90g (1/3 cup) Greek Style Yoghurt
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 30g ghee, melted
  • Sesame seeds, toasted

METHOD

• Step 1
    Combine the flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a bowl. Mix in water, yoghurt and oil. Knead dough for 5 minutes or until smooth.
  • Step 2
    Place dough in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
  • Like 1