• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coke Hacks

nakji

Ginger sounds nice,, like a cross between a Ginger Beer and a Coke.... My personal favorite is a tad of Amaretto in a Diet Coke , or some Almond Syrup for the non -alcoholic version.

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

But one of my favourite tea shops takes it to a new level - they make a hot drink by adding a knob of fresh, peeled ginger slices into a mug of coke, boil the whole thing up with the espresso steam wand, and serve it as a restorative tonic. It sounds appalling at first, but my husband ordered it after another friend had one - and is now hooked. It's kind of strange without the characteristic nose-tickling bubble of the carbonation lost through the steaming process, but it's not without merit.

Hot coke with ginger is a popular winter time drink in restaurants here. When it is freezing cold outside (and inside, as most restaurants have no heating) it is quite nice actually. They serve it in big jugs usually. Now if only they could master mulled wine...

I must say I'm really intrigued by the coke + ginger and coke + coffee combos. But in general, I love love love Coke Zero and think that almost anything added to it simply diminishes its pure deliciousness.

I am intrigued as well. I wonder how does it taste like. And how do you do it? Just mix them on?