• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coke Hacks

nakji

Of course, everybody knows about squeezing in a wedge of lemon or lime into a coke to add polish to your soda. And we've all heard the urban myth about dissolving a nail/fly/rational skepticism in Coke overnight.

But one of my favourite tea shops takes it to a new level - they make a hot drink by adding a knob of fresh, peeled ginger slices into a mug of coke, boil the whole thing up with the espresso steam wand, and serve it as a restorative tonic. It sounds appalling at first, but my husband ordered it after another friend had one - and is now hooked. It's kind of strange without the characteristic nose-tickling bubble of the carbonation lost through the steaming process, but it's not without merit.

There are, of course recipes for coke-on-a-ham and diet coke cake, but I'm interested in keeping the coke as a beverage - what else can you do to it to liven it up?

Does floating a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it count?

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

The problem with coke is its complete worldwide overexposure. I like it as a rare treat, like a few times per year. Cold, fizzy, caffeinated caramel with a shot of dark rum is the extent of my hacking.

I think I once watched Paula Dean put coke on a chicken.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I think I once watched Paula Dean put coke on a chicken.

Somewhere in the China Cooking forum, there is a recipe for Coca Cola chicken posted by I think hrtz8w. The chicken is simmered in a Coca Cola and soy sauce. I can't recall where the post is, but the chicken sure was tasty!

• 3 weeks later...

Hot/warm Coke & ginger is a favorite cold remedy in my house.

Mexican Coke is generally the order of the day now that Costco has is by the case, and Cuba Libres (muddled lime, Angostura & Sailor Jerry or Flor de Caña) are always a good choice.

Recently had some very interesting Belgian chocolates made with Coke flavored Pop Rocks.

There's Coke barbecue sauce, which I've seen in a number of restaurants...often served with pulled pork.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

What about hacking the actual soda gun? Where I work we've talked about turning up the carbonation, super-charging it so that it lasts longer.

Then there's adding adulterants to the syrup itself - or just making your own shelf-stable syrup and refilling an empty bag with it. I seem to remember they did this at Tailor with their smoked Coke.

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

An unofficial drink at many fast food places where I worked was the California Coke - Half coke, half either orange drink or orange soda.

At McDonald's, at least back in the late 60's, the first soda lines from the post-mix soda machines to rot out were the ones for Sprite syrup

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

We have a thread on eG somewhere about recipes using Coke and it went on for several pages, including snacks, mains, salads, desserts. Everything, really. A personal favorite in my house is to saute onions for hot dogs with Coke. They wind up sweet and caramelized.

But as far as drinks go, in back in the 50's & 60's, if one was at all fashionable, one always ordered "chocolate Coke" at the soda fountain. Fizzy Coke with chocolate syrup. Really very, very good.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Since making my own bottle of Don Lee's Buttered Popcorn Rum, I use that with coke to make his Cinema Highball. I also got ahold of some coke syrup and smoked it ala Eben Freeman so I can make my own Waylons. Outside of that, it's usually diet coke (or pepsi) and I don't mess with it much.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Rum? I like to hack my Coke with some Appleton.

+1 with the Appleton, I have a couple of bottles of VX just itching to meet some coke (maybe not all in one go.)

if food be the music of love, eat on.

• 1 month later...

I am excited to get an ice cream maker so I can make coke slushies with invert sugar and lemon.

The Mexican coke is da bomb too, I get it at a local grocery store for 1.52 US OTD and I put it either in the freezer or even better covered in ice.