• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with boneless skinless chicken thighs...?

ellevan

My favorite for these is Charles Phan's Carmelized Chicken. I had it once at the Slanted Door and have made it once a month for three years since.

Carmelized Black Pepper Chicken

I always leave the water out of this recipe because it makes the sauce too thin. I also substitute 3/4 cups Muscovado sugar for the 1/2 cup of dark brown because the flavor is much more intense. We love cilantro in my house so we replace 4 sprigs with a big handful.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

I think boneless skinless thighs are best on the grill, and I use them like many of the posters above, in stir fries and curries. I also use them when I babysit to make chicken fingers. My cousin's kids can tell when I use breasts or tenders and tell me how dry they taste otherwise.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

marinate with your favorite curry powder, lime juice and salt, put on bbq. Eat with naan bread (the curry one from Trader Joes is quite good) and/or saffron rice and a nice salad with red wine or sherry vinegar, olive oil, s&p. Quick and one of my kid's favorites.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Split the thighs for stuffing. Rub down with pesto or Italian herbs and olive oil and saute in a little bit of olive oil on both sides until about half cooked.

Stuff each thigh with a slice of manchego cheese. Wrap each thigh with a thin slice of serrano ham (prosciutto will also work).

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until thighs are done. Enjoy.

That Arroz con Pollo, indeed, looks wonderful. The recipe just calls for "rice". The photo on the web-site looks like long grain rice. What do you think it would be like with paella rice? We have been experimenting with Chicken and Spanish Chorizo Paella. The paella rice turns out really wonderful with a nice bite to it. It does have some oven time after the initial stages on the top of the stove. It seems as though that rice might work in this dish. We have a chunk of leftover Spanish Chorizo. I may throw that in also. Any thoughts?

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

I really take the time to fully brown them in a hot pan with oil and then cook till tender in a broth or sauce. Usually a tomato or chicken broth, but whatever liquid. I mostly use chicken broth, toss in a lot of onion, carrot, garlic and herbs etc. with the browned thighs and cook low and slow till almost fall apart tender, remove the thighs, and reduce the cooking liquid till it has the strength I want. Not fancy, but it's like chicken candy when done.

One of my favorite skinless boneless thigh recipe is this one for Korean Spicy Chili Paste chicken -- easy, delicious, and leftovers make for the worlds best fried rice the next day...

http://weekofmenus.blogspot.com/2009/07/korean-chili-paste-spicy-chicken-mae-un.html

I'd been browsing through this thread last week, and to my delight found boneless chicken thighs on sale this week! This recipe looks great, but unfortunately I don't have easy access to Korean Spicy Chili Paste. What would you recommend as a substitute? Thanks!

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Hey Corinna --

It'll be hard to really substitute for Korean Chili Paste, but my best guess is maybe a sweetish miso plus some hot chile sauce? Anyone else out there have thoughts on this?

Emily

Hey Corinna --

It'll be hard to really substitute for Korean Chili Paste, but my best guess is maybe a sweetish miso plus some hot chile sauce? Anyone else out there have thoughts on this?

Emily

Thank you, Emily!

In addition to posting the question here, I googled for ideas and found a recipe for an approximation, which did indeed include miso paste. I mixed up a batch this afternoon, which smelled intoxicating, and it's currently marinating in the fridge. Very promising! So looking forward to getting it on the fridge and tasting the results.

Will report back. Thanks again!

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Hey Corinna --

Emily

Thank you, Emily!

In addition to posting the question here, I googled for ideas and found a recipe for an approximation, which did indeed include miso paste. I mixed up a batch this afternoon, which smelled intoxicating, and it's currently marinating in the fridge. Very promising! So looking forward to getting it on the fridge and tasting the results.

Will report back. Thanks again!

This was delicious. Thank you so much for sharing it! I will have to seek out some Korean Chili Paste for next time.

IMG_2062.JPG