• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi Pizza

The other day we were out for dinner at a rather nice place called Hamachi Kita in the Hydrostone neighborhood of Halifax. They've got sushi pizza on the menu.

It starts with a fried disk of rice for a crust, wasabi mayo as the sauce, and the toppings include all sorts of sashimi, avocado slices and fish roe.

I panicked and ordered the chirashizushi.

Am I missing out?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Okay, we LOVE sushi, how can I make this? sushi rice made into a disc and "fried"? Press the rice into a disc, oil the pan and fry? will it stay together?

I just gotta try it.

Susan

I still haven't actually seen or tasted one. It seems you want to get a crisp but chewy rice patty, maybe with panko? The Wiki says it started in Toronto in the 1990's and has been growing in popularity since.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Fusion! Well, consider what Pizza Hut does to pizza in Japan to make it more palatable to the local population, then why not twist sushi around? Not sure I'd really want to try it though, although that's more my opinion of Hamachi House than the concept of sushi pizza itself talking.

It's only pizza in the sense of one of the traditional shapes and the fact that you pick up a piece of it to eat it.

There is a sushi restaurant on 1st Avenue in the 70's in NYC, Tsuki, that has this on their menu as an appetizer. The rice disk was broiled, so it was lightly crusted. They used trimmings similar to what they would use in maki and temaki, with dabs of wasabi mayo as well as some sort of bright chili sauce here and there.

Was about 6' in diameter, if my memory still partly serves me, and we loved it.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 month later...

Okay, we LOVE sushi, how can I make this? sushi rice made into a disc and "fried"? Press the rice into a disc, oil the pan and fry? will it stay together?

I just gotta try it.

Susan

I still haven't actually seen or tasted one. It seems you want to get a crisp but chewy rice patty, maybe with panko? The Wiki says it started in Toronto in the 1990's and has been growing in popularity since.

To make rice cakes, take rice and add seasonings, roll into a ball, flatten to desired shape. Then place in warm oven for a few hours to dry out. To serve, deep fry until they become brittle.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I think the mistake is to call it a sushi pizza since it is neither. You basically have ingredients characteristic of sushi in a pizza shape. Purists will probably think it is absurd while those with no preconceived notions will judge it only by its taste. There is a sushi restaurant nearby that sells a dish that I didn't recognize so the waitress explained to me that it was a specialty. It was basically a dish composed of tempura fried in a disk shape topped with spicy salmon, wasabi mayo, and roe. So it is essentially the same as the OP described except that this restaurant doesn't call it a pizza. Did I like it? Not really. But if it was named sushi pizza I wouldn't have ordered it in a million years!

Morimoto's signature tuna pizza with anchovy aioli uses flour tortillas as the base.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)