• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fraser Valley

Veghead

I was thinking it would be nice one day this summer to head out to the Fraser Valley for some food and a change of pace. Can anyone suggest any places that I must definitely visit? I'd like to hear of any good lunch spots and places to pick up great produce, cheese, bread, whathaveyou.

If by Fraser Valley you mean Chilliwack or Agassiz, I can help you out.

Chilliwack is a bit of a culinary wasteland, but the Airport is famous for it's pie...and there is Cookies Grill on Old Yale Road, which is a good diner type place, especially for breakfasts. We have outstanding Indian at the Shandhar Hut on Young and Chilies Thai on Yale Road. There is a great bakery on Mill Street called Birdies, and you can get sandwiches and whatnot to go.

There are some real winners in Agassiz. The Bread Basket Bakery on Pioneer Avenue is a not to be missed spot. Fantastic bread, pizza bread, pastries. Do NOT miss the cheese buns.

Just up the street (on the corner of Pioneer) from the bakery is a good coffee bar/restaurant that I think is called the Oasis. Nice freshly made food, nice young couple that could do with the business.

Carry on from Agassiz to the FarmHouse Cheese store as above, then toodle along through the countryside to Limbert Mountain Farm. http://www.limbertmountainfarm.com/ The have a tea room/lunch spot that serves lovely fresh food, much of it grown right there.

and you could check out http://www.circlefarmtour.com/ for all kind of other interesting places.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

• 1 month later...

I second FarmHouse Cheese's in Agassiz. Also if you're around for Dinner or lunch on weekdays stop in at Restaurant 62 in Abbotsford. Chef/Owner there was the Chef at Coast Restaurant in Yaletown and the Restauranteur/ Owner is the best host you will ever have! Also Lepp Farm Market on the Abby-Mission Highway is a great place for local produce and fruits...there is also a small kitchen that pumps out some great sandwiches!

• 3 weeks later...