• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea Tasting: Two Chinese White Teas

Richard Kilgore

OK... I'm trying to get closer to what you've done so far... I've got the last 2.5 g of PMD in 110ml of 175F water... letting it go 3 minutes. It comes out more bitter around the edges this way... And I now see where the melon-y flavor notes are coming from... quite cantalope-y, though in a close to the rind sort of way... Still pretty flat in its flavor profile, with a long long finish.

Trying a second infusion of two minutes, which takes the bitter edge off, but doesn't provide much of interest... I think the tea is going back over the leaves for another minute... which brought out more flavor. Long steeps are what this tea was made for...

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

My impression is that you get the best of the PMD sooner, where the YZ gives less up front, but keeps giving and giving with the subsequent infusions being pretty much as pleasing as the first.

I wonder if that's due to the delicate thin larger leaves, in distinction to the tiny needles of the YZ?

My impression is that you get the best of the PMD sooner, where the YZ gives less up front, but keeps giving and giving with the subsequent infusions being pretty much as pleasing as the first.

I wonder if that's due to the delicate thin larger leaves, in distinction to the tiny needles of the YZ?

That may be. For me the first infusion of the PMD is far and away the best.

Hmm... chocolate? Never would have thought it... have to try it with the last of the Yin Zhen and see if it works. I agree that these work with stone fruits... I think berries overpower them, though the aftertaste of these teas does play nicely with berry brightness.

Interesting. Have either of you found food pairings with these white teas to be synergistic? That is, the food enhances the flavor of the tea, or the tea enhances the flavor of the food? Rather than the food and the tea simply going well together?

I have not... yet. But then again, I very infrequently find myself consuming interesting and/or complex food preparations around tea time. Teas and wines synergize amazing well sometimes, and I'd imagine wine based sauces could take advantage of that... but in this weather, I'm not cooking like that...

I have been brewing the PMD today with a higher ratio - 5.0 g in a 130 ml gaiwan. Infusions: 20 sec, 1 min, 2 min, 3 min. This provides a richer tea liquor - the first infusion at 20 sec was a little thin, but the rest were delicious. And the leaf has at least one more infusion to go.

Am celebrating the cool front and its heat-wave breaking thunderstorms with some yin zhen, trying to make the synergies with chocolate come out... So far I'm getting a very nice procession of melon-y tea, which is not making glorious harmonies with either Belgian 77% chocolate, nor with Ghirardelli 72%.. The melon-y-ness is expressing itself in a manner quite reminscent of the white stuff between watermelon rind and the red watermelon... and that flavor just isn't making the chocolate sing. It is, however, masking the chocolate's own fruitiness and bringing forth the roasty toasty notes quite clearly.