• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upscale, Innovative Contemporary Cuisine in Montreal

I'll be visiting Montreal in the near future, and would love to hear about any restaurants serving innovative contemporary cuisine.

On past trips, I've enjoyed visits to Toque, APDC and Le Montee. I also have tried Europea and Rosalie, but found the food mediocre, so I haven't returned. I haven't had a chance to try Le Club Chasse et Peche or Joe Beef yet, but they've both been on my wishlist for a while.

My dinner at Bronte in October was one of my favourite meals in 2009, and I was disappointed to hear that the restaurant had closed. What is Joe Mercuri doing these days?

And how is the new Accords? http://accords.ca/

Edited by phoenikia (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Phoenikia, the sad truth is that very few places in Montreal serve innovative food...

There are many places I love - Garde Manger, Barroco, Joe Beef - but they specialize in upscale comfort food, big hearty portions - innovation is not their thing.

The city's top pastry chef (known for innovative desserts) is now at Newtown, which is surprising - the place has a clubby lounge on the ground floor and is on a very touristy street, but I've read good reviews of patrice demers' work there.

There is a lengthy review posted on this forum, here's the link.

Also worth checking out is Club Chasse et Peche, my all-time fave MTL restaurant. Contemporary presentations, hip vibe, more upscale than all the others I mention but... not innovative either.

As for Accords, never heard of it... :o

Edited by AlexForbes (log)

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website