• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marcel Vigneron to host a cooking show on SyFy

KristiB50

http://io9.com/5527362/that-guy-everyone-hates-from-top-chef-to-host-syfys-cooking-show

Top Chef alum Marcel Vigneron, will be hosting the much-rumored Syfy cooking show, now called Marcel's Quantum Kitchen. If you're not familiar with his work, Marcel was known as the extremely innovative gastro chef... whom everyone disliked. We've known there was going to be a cooking show on the Syfy Channel for some time now. We were crossing our fingers for a version of Alton Brown's fun "science in the kitchen" series — maybe featuring Neelix as the host. But we overlooked the host announcement for the series — that guy with the hair from Top Chef, Marcel Vigneron.

Here's the synopsis of the show via Futon Critic....

I'm just amused SyFy has a cooking show. Their bad CG monster movies are entertaining and I do watch some of their original series but I never thought they'd have a cooking show.

I'll check it out just to see how he does. I'm glad he got a show. Better him than Illan.

• 1 month later...

Wow, even after the Top Chef reference (and before clicking the link) I had trouble figuring this out. Marcel Vigneron? um... Oh wait! Just plain Marcel! From Top Chef.

Okay, I'll give it a trial. For me, Marcel started out as the new Stephen (Asprinio), but then a fascinating thing started to happen...the other contestants - in reacting to him - started melting down left and right. I think Marcel stayed roughly the same throughout while others, perhaps culminating in the Cliff incident, began showing the worst sides of themselves. And while Elian did eventually win, I think he was by then coming off as a rather nasty character - much in contrast to Harold Dieterle, who had some nastiness going on around him, but which he was able to stay out of.

But, I think I'd like to see Jonathan Waxman punk both Marcel and Elian.

But yeah, I'll give it a go. Although the idea from the article of teaming him up with Richard Blaise would've been brilliant - if they could develop a working relationship (which I think they could).

Top chef season 1 ftw. Ever since then it hasn't been as good.

Maybe because it was new and cool, maybe because katie lee joel (at the time) was a better host than padma.

I saw a few eps from the first season last week. It has changed a lot. The kitchens are dramatically different and the production values are much higher now. Kind of funny to see the interviews happen in whole foods, etc.

A little science in the kitchen doesn't hurt, unless it becomes the focus and the food becomes second fiddle, read: marcel's salad in the finale.

Edited by ChickenStu (log)