• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit/vegetable "glue"

KennethT

I'm looking to bond two pieces of fruit or vegetables together for a cold application - is there anything out there that can do this type of thing? I was thinking there might be something like a veggie equivalent to transglutaminase (not necessarily enzyme based) - something that you could spread on one slice of fruit/veg and then apply another slice and they would bond together...

I might be able to make a strong enough gel out of agar or gelatin, but don't know if it would have the strength to hold things stuck together, plus, I don't know if it would taste weird...

Thanks for the ideas!

Check out this article from the folks at Ideas in Food. It discusses how they approached the idea from start to... well, I won't say "to finish" because they don't really finish. They're constantly evolving their ideas.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.