• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Regional snacks that just seem wrong

SueJD

This article from The Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/apr/29/manchester-egg describes a truly vile-sounding concoction.

I live in London but was born and raised in Manchester and I'm damned if that culinary train wreck represents my city of origin.

Any junk-food snacks peculiar to your region?

Edited by SueJD (log)

I have actually tasted a Koolickle...in New Jersey of all places. I have had much worse tasting things

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have actually tasted a Koolickle... I have had much worse tasting things.

Me too.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

When I was in high school I came across a book that claimed Australia's national dish was the "pie floater". I was annoyed that I'd never heard of it - you would expect Australia's national dish to be common knowledge to Australians - and even more annoyed when I discovered what it was. A pie floater is a bowl of pea soup with a meat pie floating in it. Google has revealed a wikipedia article, and also a photo.

My original indignation was well-founded, the pie floater is not Australia's national dish and hopefully never will be.

Maybe they're delicious, maybe they're much healthier than a plain meat pie, but I think they're plain wrong.

-Chris

When I was in high school I came across a book that claimed Australia's national dish was the "pie floater". I was annoyed that I'd never heard of it - you would expect Australia's national dish to be common knowledge to Australians - and even more annoyed when I discovered what it was. A pie floater is a bowl of pea soup with a meat pie floating in it. Google has revealed a wikipedia article, and also a photo.

My original indignation was well-founded, the pie floater is not Australia's national dish and hopefully never will be.

Maybe they're delicious, maybe they're much healthier than a plain meat pie, but I think they're plain wrong.

-Chris

Pie Floaters are delicious, but they are far from a National dish in Oz. They are however a gastronomic icon in South Australia; along with Fritz and sauce sandwiches.

Itinerant winemaker

Follow me on Twitter