• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacks! What are You Munching On?

dividend

There's a Dinner! topic, a Breakfast! topic, and a Lunch! topic. But not one for snacks? Let's rectify that right now. Please, show/tell us what you're snacking on.

I pack two snacks to take to work with me each day, and this week I found a wonderful new combination - Wasa oat crackers, a dollop of ricotta, and a drizzle of wildflower honey. Seriously nice for a mid-morning break. I've got celery filled with peanut butter (and some chocolate peanut butter, YUM) and cut into 1 inch pieces, for this afternoon. I think the work week is more bearable when the snacks are good. :smile:

Share your snacks!

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I like cheese - those little Laughing Cow Babybel varieties, or cheese sticks. Fruit - apples, pears, cherries are probably my favorites, but other fruit is good as well. Nuts, with cahews (especially peppered cahews), peanuts, pistachios being my favorites.

Usually I grab something when I'm out, so preparing a snack in advance and carrying it with me doesn't work well.

... Shel

There's a Dinner! topic, a Breakfast! topic, and a Lunch! topic. But not one for snacks? Let's rectify that right now. Please, show/tell us what you're snacking on.

I pack two snacks to take to work with me each day, and this week I found a wonderful new combination - Wasa oat crackers, a dollop of ricotta, and a drizzle of wildflower honey. Seriously nice for a mid-morning break. I've got celery filled with peanut butter (and some chocolate peanut butter, YUM) and cut into 1 inch pieces, for this afternoon. I think the work week is more bearable when the snacks are good. :smile:

Share your snacks!

Holy cow! We must be channeling or something. I am doing low-carb so my very occasional snack is a Wasa cracker with a schmeer of high quality cream cheese and a scant teaspoon of black currant jam! It meets my occasional need for a sweet, my constant need for something crispy and still stays within reasonable carb counts.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am eating my 11 o'clock snack (that's 11am UK time) right now. It's an ice lolly made by sticking a lolly stick in half a banana, rolling it in melted chocolate and freezing solid. Oddly, I don't like bananas, but I love these. The idea comes from the Pooh Cookbook by Katie Stewart (again UK version, there is a different Pooh Cookbook I think in USA, don't know if it recommends banana lollies)which was given to me by a neighbour for my fourth birthday. This recipe is marked "Smashing" in my mother's handwriting, and I must agree.

Catherine

Saltines with peanut butter or butter. Of course as soon as I read Anna's 'cracker" and dividend's "peanut butter", I wanted some. No saltines in the house so I'm substituting Carrs cracked pepper water crackers.

It's not the same.

Zing's Cheese triangles are good for a nibble as well.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am eating my 11 o'clock snack (that's 11am UK time) right now. It's an ice lolly made by sticking a lolly stick in half a banana, rolling it in melted chocolate and freezing solid. Oddly, I don't like bananas, but I love these. The idea comes from the Pooh Cookbook by Katie Stewart (again UK version, there is a different Pooh Cookbook I think in USA, don't know if it recommends banana lollies)which was given to me by a neighbour for my fourth birthday. This recipe is marked "Smashing" in my mother's handwriting, and I must agree.

Catherine

Catherine, frozen bananas are a boardwalk tradition in the US and I love them dearly. A trip to the beach would not be complete without one.

Ryekrisp with butter and lashings of chocolate sprinkles (ones of real chocolate, not 'cake decor').

Somewhere I have pictures, and will try to find and post them.

Frozen raisins.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Ryekrisp with butter and lashings of chocolate sprinkles (ones of real chocolate, not 'cake decor').

Somewhere I have pictures, and will try to find and post them.

Frozen raisins.

Frozen grapes are a great summer-time snack but frozen raisins? That's interesting.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I keep a box of graham crackers and a jar of peanut butter and honey in the credenza at work; it serves for breakfast if I oversleep, lunch if I can't get out or don't bring anything, or a snack when I have what is fondly described in the South as a "sinking spell"...

I also like cheese, any kind of fruit, carrots and hummus. I'll often keep a block of cheese and a bag of apples in the office fridge for snacks/lunch/breakfast for several days.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A stick of celery, or some radishes, smeared with a wedge of laughing cow cheese is a great low-carb snack. I also adore pistachios - I have to refrain from eating half a bag in a sitting.

Have just finished my 5 o'clock snack, Jacob's cream crackers topped with philadephia cream cheese and fresh pineapple. This idea from Nigel Slater, I would guess from "Real Fast Food."

Catherine

In my mind Nutella and Dulce de Leche are two of the great "spoon foods". You have either of those, you have dessert. Pretzels add some salt and crunch....perfect. Snack heaven when it has to be sweet.

Yesterday I visited the local Whole Foods (we're visiting....don't have one at home.) They had a "Taco Cookoff" new ideas being tested by public. One worth noting, the dessert taco, cinnamon sugar pita chips (that's the topic part....in any flavor pita chips are great) topped with ice cream, whipped cream, choc sauce, chopped cherries and candied pumpkin seeds. Not a "taco" in my mind, but those chips gave great crunch to a "sundae".

In my mind Nutella and Dulce de Leche are two of the great "spoon foods". You have either of those, you have dessert. Pretzels add some salt and crunch....perfect. Snack heaven when it has to be sweet.

Yesterday I visited the local Whole Foods (we're visiting....don't have one at home.) They had a "Taco Cookoff" new ideas being tested by public. One worth noting, the dessert taco, cinnamon sugar pita chips (that's the topic part....in any flavor pita chips are great) topped with ice cream, whipped cream, choc sauce, chopped cherries and candied pumpkin seeds. Not a "taco" in my mind, but those chips gave great crunch to a "sundae".

Hmm... dessert nachos! Cinnamon pita chips, dulce de leche or nutella, some soft creamy cheese, chocolate chips maybe a few dried cranberries... fudge drizzles...

now I have to see if this theory pans out!

Hmm... dessert nachos! Cinnamon pita chips, dulce de leche or nutella, some soft creamy cheese, chocolate chips maybe a few dried cranberries... fudge drizzles...

We've made snacky-desserts using tortillas spread with melted butter, sugar and cinnamon and then chocolate shreds. Roll them up, spreading the underside with melted butter, sugar and cinnamon. Anchor with a toothpick. Into the oven for a few minutes. Yum.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We've made snacky-desserts using tortillas spread with melted butter, sugar and cinnamon and then chocolate shreds. Roll them up, spreading the underside with melted butter, sugar and cinnamon. Anchor with a toothpick. Into the oven for a few minutes. Yum.

Now that sounds good! Like cinnamon toast but with chocolate!!! Thanks for the idea, definitely going to do this one! :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a sucker for those "natural" type snack bars, because they're so convenient to just throw in my purse, or in one of my bento containers, when I'm too lazy to even weigh out some nuts. I am a fastidious label reader, and it's hard to find one with an acceptable ingredient list. I love love love Larabars. The peanut butter cookie ones have an ingredient list of dates, peanuts, salt.

I bought a box of Mrs. Mays Trio bars at Costco, intrigued by the promise of nuts, seeds, and fruits. But alas. The two types of sugar - rice malt, and evaporated cane juice - on the label, even though near the end of the ingredient list, make these too sweet (like a lot of processed foods, I'm noticing). It's too bad, because they'd taste good otherwise. They're not awful, but they're getting relegated to backup snacks in the purse/desk drawer/camelbak.

Anyone found any really good snack bars?

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Baroness -- thanks for the post about the cherry larabars. I had never even looked at larabars as I figured they were just more of the pasty processed yuck. But I read your post and then was hungry and in a natural foods store today... Took a look at the cherry larabar, was amazed at the three ingredients, bought it, and it was delicious! A great snack, not too sweet as you said, and just enough to quell my hunger. Thanks!

My favorite healthy snack these days is Lundberg's brown rice cakes. Good base for various toppings, and they actually have a little flavor, not totally styrofoam-like.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde