• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reasons why you go to a `techno-emotional cuisine` place

I`m intrigued, I couldn`t reach a conclusive answer on this subject.

There`s is a clear difference between grabbing a bite on the street and go to a place like alinea for example.

Based on a consumer point of view, why would you want to go to a place like that?

-Dining experience?

-Some guide told me it`s awesome!

-Place to be seen, see ppl.

-curiosity

-to be a `i`ve been there` person inside group `x`

-?

help me out and speak your mind out. I`m trying to understand a little better the market behind this type of cuisine.

always hungry...

would you say it`s a form of escapism?

I like the concept of being challenging and illuminating.

I`m wondering what sort of things makes that movement interesting. Aesthetics, the buzz around it..

always hungry...

I suspect all of the reasons in your original message would apply, in varying proportions, to most of us. My El Bulli experience was primarily motivated by curiosity; I'd been reading a lot about it and wanted to see the real thing. 'Dining experience' is possibly a subset of this; I think I'd quote the two of them as my main reasons for trying anywhere new and/or different.

Another consideration is the type of cooking (if any) you like to do yourself. I like to play, so I'm keen to experience the El Bullis, Fat Ducks and Alineas to spark ideas and give me something (a lot!) to aspire to.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I go to a technoemtional restaurant for the same reason I go to any restaurant - I expect delicious food! In addition, I expect to have fun and/or be stimulated intellectually. The best of this genre tend to incorporate emotion into their cooking by virtue of association or presentation, but the best almost always have delicious food too. Unlessthe food is enjoyable to me, I don't consider it a successful meal.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

My reasons for wanting to go to some of those places are pretty much the same as Johns. That's about all the info I can give you at this point since I've never been to any of them.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.