• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Types Of Salmon In The Northwest

In another thread, mamster happened to mention 'king' salmon. I didn't immediately remember which one this is; there are too many names for the actual species. Depending on whether you're a fisherman, which market you happen to go to, or even local custom, you might see several different names. Also, the much-hyped Copper River salmon actually consists of two different species, Chinook and Sockeye; both are excellent, but the local supermarket sometimes doesn't specify which Copper River salmon they have. (IMHO, sockeye is better, but they're close).

Thanks to the Kent school district, I have a chart magnetically attached to my refrigerator for ready access at all times to sort out which salmon is which. The chart is here.

A text version:

King = chinook (I'm used to chinook rather than king, local customs may very)

Sockeye = red = blueback (never hear blueback before)

Chum = keta = silver brite (never heard silver brite before)

Silver = coho (I've usually heard coho, very rarely silver)

Pink (no aliases given; usually found in (ewww) cans?)

Atlantic (farmed in the PNW, not as good as any wild native species)

Edited by Human Bean (log)

A few more, or salmon wannabe's?

Kokanee - lake version of Sockeye

Cutthroat Trout - aren't these almost like salmon?

Steelhead - trout or salmon, or salmon-trout?  It looks and tastes like salmon.

Excellent, thanks, BH.

I can add that Steelhead are actually a trout that thinks it's a salmon (ie, anadromous, look it up :smile:) and are almost always found commercially as farmed, rather than wild. Farmed anything aren't as good as wild, but any salmon-esque fish is better than most any other kind. :smile:

King salmon is Oncorhynchus tshawytscha. Hope that clears everything up! Also, there are a bunch of non-salmon anadromous fishes, including some sturgeon, shad, striped bass, and that sort of thing.

There's only one catadromous fish in the U.S.: eels, if you consider that a fish.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

King salmon is Oncorhynchus tshawytscha.  Hope that clears everything up!  Also, there are a bunch of non-salmon anadromous fishes, including some sturgeon, shad, striped bass, and that sort of thing.

There's only one catadromous fish in the U.S.:  eels, if you consider that a fish.

Ah, a true bio-geek! Thanks - I knew anadromous; never heard catadromous before; I'm merely a computer-geek.

And by all definitions I've heard, an eel is a fish; it just doesn't look like one.

Bowing to your bio-knowledge... :smile:

A text version:

Pink salmon are also sometimes called 'humpy' salmon and chum salmon called 'dog' salmon. Don't know the origins of these aliases, but since neither are really worth eating (except maybe smoked) it probably doesn't matter.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Pink salmon are also sometimes called 'humpy' salmon and chum salmon called 'dog' salmon.

Hmm, never heard of those before, as such. Are you saying that pink salmon = chum salmon? I've heard of chum salmon, but had no idea what it was. I've never seen 'pink salmon' or 'chum salmon' for sale at the local markets.

Why does this need to be so complicated? Hopefully, this thread will sort it out for the ages. :smile:

No, chum salmon (aka dog salmon) and pink salmon (aka humpy salmon or humpies) aren't the same. I occasionally see pink salmon in the market. Neither are very good for cooking fresh and primarily go into canned salmon. Some smoke houses will have smoked pink salmon, which can be good too.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

i grew up in alaska fishing for salmon, so this thread really interests me. we used to never call them coho's, it was always silver. same with chinook vs. king. always called them king salmon. i still remember the best fish i've ever had was a silver we caught, my mom fileted it, squeezed a bit of lemon, a little butter, salt and pepper, put it over the campfire in a aluminum foil pouch and we were eating it 10 minutes later. amazing how tasty REALLY fresh fish can be....

mike

There isn't really any comparision to farmed and fresh Steelhead as far as how they taste. About 5 years ago I used to fish for Steelhead on the Kasilof River in south central Alaska before Figh & Game closed it to Steelhaed fishing. Since then I have bought several (supposed) Steellhead from a grocer and was definately NOT impressed with the taste/quality compared to what I actually caught!

I can still fish for them though I can't keep them anymore. :angry: Oh well I guess thats progress??

Edited by sealman (log)

Speaking of Wild Steelhead ... The best piece of fish I ever recall tasting in my life was a fresh piece of wild steelhead that my brother's friend had just caught. I prepared it by basting it with butter flavored with garlic & herbs, S & P, and broiled it. The memory of that wild steelhead flavor has never left me. I would choose it over Copper River Salmon, too.

In another thread, mamster happened to mention 'king' salmon. I didn't immediately remember which one this is; there are too many names for the actual species. Depending on whether you're a fisherman, which market you happen to go to, or even local custom, you might see several different names. Also, the much-hyped Copper River salmon actually consists of two different species, Chinook and Sockeye; both are excellent, but the local supermarket sometimes doesn't specify which Copper River salmon they have. (IMHO, sockeye is better, but they're close).

Thanks to the Kent school district, I have a chart magnetically attached to my refrigerator for ready access at all times to sort out which salmon is which. The chart is here.

A text version:

HB... did you by chance ever live in British Columbia? When I lived up there I remember salmon being referred to by the the First Nation names of Chinook and Coho more than King and Silver, and I noticed that you mentioned you also were more familiar with the names Chinook & Coho. It could be a regional thing, or maybe just a change in names over time. Can anyone from BC confirm?

HB... did you by chance ever live in British Columbia?

I spent a summer there once, at a lake (no salmon), but other than that, no, not really.

Dunno why I'm more familiar with those names; probably just something associated with the wilderness that is Portland, as opposed to you city slickers in the Emerald City (I always thought the Emerald City was in Oz; either I'm mistaken, or else please say hello to Dorothy and 'her little dog too' for me. :biggrin:) Also, please pet one of those Ozzy kangaroos for me (how's THAT for hopelessly mixed metaphors??) And while you're at it, please tell Ozzy not to swear so much on his TV show; those bleeps are annoying (the metaphors are in the blender on 'liquefy' now, it's hopeless).

I grew up fishing for silvers and chinooks in southern Oregon. The commercial fisherman also called one of those splitters, but I can't remember which.

Wild steelhead can't be fished commercially, which is why they aren't sold in the markets. The tribes are allowed to sell them sometimes, so you can occasionally buy them out of pickups in the Columbia Gorge.

Steelhead used to be considered the same species as rainbow trout, but sometime in the last decade they were designated a separate species.

Sockeye, the salmon with the most fat, is still my favorite.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Jim, sometimes there is something labeled wild steelhead in markets here in Southern California, whose flavor and texture and behavior when cooked seemed just too good to have been farmed.

Could it have been large rainbow trout I was buying? Or is it more likely to have been not-wild steelhead labeled incorrectly?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I think I'm used to certain salmon names because they're the names the media uses (presumably also the names the scientists and Agriculture people use). Salmon are in the news many days of the week 'round here, and there have been stories in the past couple days about various groups suing to get Chinook (not 'king') salmon off the endangered species list.

I hear many more media reports about salmon than I hang around fishmongers or fishermen, so I hear the 'proper' (?) names (chinook, coho) more often than the nicknames (king, silver) I guess, so BH is probably right about the names being culture-specific to some extent.

Jim, sometimes there is something labeled wild steelhead in markets here in Southern California, whose flavor and texture and behavior when cooked seemed just too good to have been farmed.

Just guessing here:

Could it have been large rainbow trout I was buying?

Probably not, especially if the flesh was orange/pink; steelhead meat gets it's color because they eat what the salmon eat (AFAIK).

Or is it more likely to have been not-wild steelhead labeled incorrectly?

This seems more likely, but I don't know if things are different in SoCal. Maybe they came from 'the tribes,' it's a long way to SoCal though. I doubt that I could tell farmed from wild if they weren't side-by-side for a direct comparison; I love salmon/steelhead, but don't eat it often enough to have a good sense-memory for the differences. Actually, I've never had wild steelhead, due to it's relative unavailability.

--

Factoid (confirmations or denials welcome): Wild salmon and steelhead have orange/pink flesh due to their diet (shrimp?); farmed fish have color (canthaxanthan or other carotenoid - mamster?) added to their feed to give them their color; without the added color, they'd look just like any other fish.

Yes, pink flesh. Darker in color than what is sometimes sold as salmon trout. Seemed not to be farmed--good texture, good color, good flavor, and the skin crisped up beautifully--in my experience farmed salmon fails on all these counts.

In researching steelhead online at the time, I ran across the rainbow trout information that Jim Dixon mentions up there, how only recently the two fish were designated separate species.

The only pink-fleshed trout I have eaten has been called salmon or sea trout...maybe sea trout is another name for steelhead?

I appreciate all this information.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Blue Heron,

You're right about fat content...according tothis site a 3 0z serving of chinook (and who's only going to eat 3 oz?) has 11.5 grams of fat, while the same serving of sockeye has 9 (it's the second hghest. But sockeye does have the highest level of omega 3 fatty acids.

As to the wild steelhead in S. Cal....not sure. Most fishing regs are set by States, so maybe it's okay down there. I just know that here steelhead aren't fished commercially.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food